Author Topic: Thank You  (Read 1415 times)

oldflinter

Thank You
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:07:57 AM »

Thank You All
I am new to the Forum and this is my first post but I am not new to the world of Muzzloading. As someone who loves Flintlocks I have been using these wonderful arms for hunting and in competition for more than 50 years I also participated in many events for the time period from F&I to Mountain Man over that time and continue to do so. I am privileged to own many horn items but they are not in a “collection” but in my “Kit” which I use all the time. Most of these items have been made for me by two HCH Members in upstate NY a few hours from where I live near the Adirondack Mountains and one of these men has been my good friend for over 40 years. Recently I participated in a program in Trenton NJ where I had the Honor of working in the same room with another HCH Master for two days as he demonstrated his Spring Pole Lathe. During that time I mentioned I wanted to get a Horn for my Great-Grandson who just turned 2 and survived open heart surgery a year ago. Dick challenged me by stating the obvious telling me that when I get home “I should make it for him”. Never argue with a Master so when I got home I started working on a horn for my Great Grandson, this is the start of my first horn and would most likely not be to this point without all the knowledge I have gained from reading this Forum. I very much appreciate the information and detail you share with anyone needing help and will post the picture of this horn when it is finished to the Forum, thank you again.

Bob Traver
Ballston Spa NY

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Thank You
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:11:37 AM »
Bob, welcome!  It sounds like you have some fine friends to help you along with your project. I don’t have any great-grandchildren (yet), but I do have a couple of grandsons I want to make some things for (before my full-time job as Daisy Root Inspector starts... :o).

I don’t think you’ll find a better bunch of folks to hang out with anywhere on the internet.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »
 ;) ;)... Horn is taking good shape, Bob,... I always tell people,..." If  I can do it, anybody can",... made one for my little girl the year she was born,... and she will be 32 in a couple weeks and has two little boys of her own  ,.... guess I need to make a couple more now,....... will post some pix when I get back home,... keep posting pix of progress,......!!!

oldflinter

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:27:39 AM »
Thank you guys for your comments and support. I am trying to "do it the right way" if there is such a thing working the horn with rasp, files and scrapers but this process slows me down a bit because when the Carpel-tunnel kicks in I have to stop till I get feeling back in my fingers. But I feel blessed that I have two hands to work with and good support from guys like you.