Author Topic: Using magnifiers  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Using magnifiers
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
Hello all. I have been engraving horns for over 20 years. Just in the last year it has started to hurt my eyes to do it. I feel I can see what I am doing fine but it strains my eyes.  Would wearing magnifier s help with this? Other thoughts?

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Using magnifiers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:59:23 AM »
Cory Joe,

How old are you?  And do you wear glasses?  If you're not an old @$#%, like me, and you don't wear glasses now, you may just  need to get your eyes checked.  It did wonders for me when I got outfitted with spectacles.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
Cory Joe,

How old are you?  And do you wear glasses?  If you're not an old @$#%, like me, and you don't wear glasses now, you may just  need to get your eyes checked.  It did wonders for me when I got outfitted with spectacles.

-Ron

I am 40 and have worn glasses since 4th grade.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
Magnification will help a lot. Good way to go is with optivisor. The drawback is that the higher the magnification, the shorter the working distance. By far the best way to go is with a pair of of surgical binocular loupes. You get good magnification while staying in focus over a range of working distances and have a great field of view. You don't have to be scrunched down over you work. Definitely the way to go. Only problem is that these things are extremely expensive. I doubt it is worth the price unless you are engraving for a living. Or just have lots of money.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
I keep a pair of 4X drug-store magnifiers in my fly fishing bag, for threading 4X through tiny hook eyes. Makes it simple. Now, maybe need

another beer to get rid of the shakes.   :o
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:30:18 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

1stvarifle

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
Get an Optivisor. I also build wood ship models and it is indispensable, they can use different magnifications and will mount a light.
Your regular glasses will also fit under them (the focal length gets REALLY short). Worth every penny.

Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »
There are also adjustable units with a large magnifying lense that are very handy for soldering and tying very small flies.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
Cory Joe,
They're called bifocals.  Got my first set when I turned 41.  Let's see,.... about 27 years ago.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Cory Joe,
Wear a set of magnifying glasses or an Opti-Visor.  My thought on this topic is that if your engraving looks good under magnification it will look great to the naked eye.
David
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:03:54 PM by David Rase »