Author Topic: Ram's horn knife handles  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Ram's horn knife handles
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:17:42 AM »
I mounted some ram's horn scales on a Russell Green River skinner blade I picked up at the CLA Show.  I've never worked with ram's horn before.  As I worked the edges of the scales down it is solid inside and files down nicely, but I want to keep the outer surface of the horn as is.  The surface looks like real course hair compressed into a solid.  If you worry the surface the strands will fuzz up.  I think I need to apply some sort of protective finish, but what?  The last picture is the actual color.  Suggestions please.  And thank you.  -Ron

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:19:15 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Ram's horn knife handles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
No experience with rams horn but you might think about a thin coating of clear, satin, epoxy.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
How about thin CA glue?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tippit

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »
I use sheep horn scales.  All I do is use Montana Pitch Blend or any wax.  Use a hair dryer to melt in.  Those sheep and rams are running around in all kinds of weather...very durable material.  Epoxy or CA glue will just gum up the natural texture.

Sheep Horn Scales...

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »
Tippit, that’s a gorgeous knife!

Ron, I’ve not used any sheep horn yet, but I’ve used several of those Green River blades. My problem is my wife loves them for kitchen knives... : :o. Guess I’ll just have to make her a set of her own.

Here’s one with bone scales.

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline FDR

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »
Out of over 400 custom knives made (23 years in the Knifemakers Guild) the only one I ever had returned for rework was a ram horn handled skinner. The horn cracked at a handle bolt. Internal stress for being straightened I suppose. I like the feel of rams horn. Like others said a little wax and buffing is all that is needed.

Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
I made a big throwing knife many years ago, and used mountain sheep horn for the scales.  The knife eventually broke where I had silver soldered a brass cross guard to the blade, but the scales seemed to be unbreakable.  They were attached to the handle steel with three 1/4" steel rivets, and were protected by a pair of brass pieces forming a pommel.  In those days, I had a good throwing arm, and would often throw the knife from two and three turns - about 23 yards.  That was its demise.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:21:38 AM »

I once found a goat carcass that fell a long way and bounced many times, it was a bag of shattered bone. Horns had scratches that looked like they would buff out with a kleenex. One horn absorbed enough energy to almost completely remove it from the skull. Have watch Rams 'play fight' impact on the ears was like being under a shed roof when a muzzle braked lapua goes off. Tough material.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 03:28:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the input.

Tippit,
Great looking knife.  Wild sheep must have lighter colored horns and maybe a different texture?  My scales came from a mean old barnyard ram.  The horn was a full curl, but was only about 8" in diameter and very dark.

Greg,
Another great looking knife.  I see why your wife wants to swipe it.

FDR,
That horn does feel good in the hand.  I made this for a friend, but now I don't want to turn it loose. ;)

Wax it is.  Thanks again fellows.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie