Author Topic: Finished Rifle  (Read 14806 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Finished Rifle
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 01:23:01 AM »
  Jim very nice looking rifle. Everything about it is superb. An you also answered the.  Is their wood enough left to carve before final finish.
  Again thanks for sharring...!   Oldtravler

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 04:11:30 AM »
Not that I would expect any less from you, but that is a handsome rifle. Especially the wood finish. Would you be so kind as to share the process?  Typically sharp Kibler carving in evidence as well. God bless, Marc

n stephenson

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 04:50:37 AM »
Beautiful rifle !! .... The finish of both metal and wood have a very nice warmth to them. The carving has the feeling of movement , that the old Masters were so good at , while still maintaining restraint . Very Nicely Done !!!!     Nate

CARROLLCO

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:36 AM »
Really like this fine rifle. So subtle, beautiful carvings. Well done Jim!

Offline tiswell

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »
Jim,
   All of your work is top shelf. Your carving is the most clean and well executed I have seen. The carving design seems to give the gun a pulse. I am a fan of Schroyer rifles and like the similarities of the tang carving.

I hope to start draw filing the barrel on my kit this evening. If possible, can you post your setup on holding the kit gun during fitting and carving? Also, could you list the maker, size and radius of your gouges that you used on the carving?

Thanks, Bill

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
 As Always, a piece of Signature work. With this example you will have to ramp up I'm sure.

Tim

Iktomi

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
Jim, what process did you use for finishing of the metal? Looks really nice.

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Beautiful work, crisp and clean.  Shows that kit guns can be first class works as well.
Jeff

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »
Jim,
   All of your work is top shelf. Your carving is the most clean and well executed I have seen. The carving design seems to give the gun a pulse. I am a fan of Schroyer rifles and like the similarities of the tang carving.

I hope to start draw filing the barrel on my kit this evening. If possible, can you post your setup on holding the kit gun during fitting and carving? Also, could you list the maker, size and radius of your gouges that you used on the carving?

Thanks, Bill

Thanks!  Yes, there are some similarities to Shroyer work.  Good eye. 

As to holding the stock, I use a vise with a piece of leather to wrap around and pad the rifle.  It's a good idea to fashion some sort of a prop to hold the other end of the gun up as well.  It can be as simple as a board clamped to your bench.  It can also sit on the floor and just be some 2x4 lumber screwed  together. 

I use Pfeil gouges mostly to carve with, although any brands of decent quality will work.  I'm not certain of all the tools I used.  I have a carving instructional booklet I put together that lists the ones I use most commonly.  I'll see if I can get a list posted.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »
Jim, what process did you use for finishing of the metal? Looks really nice.

Both the brass and steel was darkened using the "Brass Darkening Solution" we sell.  Glad you like it.

Thanks everybody for the kind words!  Sure appreciate it.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:16:02 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
  Jim last but not least are you attending the CLA show this year. Oldtravler

Offline t.caster

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Your stock patina is killing me! I just ordered some of your "bone black" for my next one  8)
Tom C.

petera

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 04:23:07 AM »
Well done!  Makes me start to wonder why I spend so much time and effort starting with a stock blank.......PAA

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »
I like the finish on that gun.  Great work
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »
I can tell who made it at a glance.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
Dang it Jim, when are you gonna get over the kit mogul thing and get back to building rifles? You have left a void in the space / time / rifle continuum.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  One of these days I'll get back to more custom work.  Not sure how much fun all the work of a fully custom gun will be after experiencing how much easier these kits make things.  That's why I want everyone to try one ;)

Not sure it's a great thing that you can recognize who made this at a glance.  I was thinking it might be fun to get some input here for potential carving designs for the next one I finish.  It's easy to get in a bit of a rut since working in a similar style takes less work.  I have another rifle "in the white" right now.  Any suggestions for carving / engraving let me know!

Yes,  We'll be at the CLA show and hopefully will have lots of kits available for purchase on the spot.

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline Longshot

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »

A stunning harmony of color, texture and shape.
Enough cannot be said.
~Longshot

Offline Lassiter

• Starting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
My goodness!!   :)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
Looks great!

Now reverse that programming so I can buy a lefty version ... will ya’ now?

Tip - When I was programming BOSS5 CNC work, w/ one simple command change the program would make a mirror image part. But of course the tooling and set up needs to be accommodated, however it even accounted for pathways and tool cutting direction (conventional vs climb milling) so as to produce a true mirror image part.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 06:18:41 AM »
I've already mentioned mirror imaging the program but Mr. Kibler did not seem interested. I did NC and Optical Tooling for the AF and can't see a big problem. If we could mirror image structural components for aircraft then it can be done for a rifle.
There was also mention of the lack of suitable LH locks for a given rifle. Well I've gotten use to using a large Siler on everything since that's the only LH lock Mr. Chambers makes. So I say just inlet all LH rifles for the large Siler until, if ever, more LH locks become available.
And looking beyond the Siler's then L&R once made a few LH locks which might be appropriate.
But I don't really see much chance of us ever seeing a LH rifle from Mr. Kibler.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
I've already mentioned mirror imaging the program but Mr. Kibler did not seem interested. I did NC and Optical Tooling for the AF and can't see a big problem. If we could mirror image structural components for aircraft then it can be done for a rifle.
There was also mention of the lack of suitable LH locks for a given rifle. Well I've gotten use to using a large Siler on everything since that's the only LH lock Mr. Chambers makes. So I say just inlet all LH rifles for the large Siler until, if ever, more LH locks become available.
And looking beyond the Siler's then L&R once made a few LH locks which might be appropriate.
But I don't really see much chance of us ever seeing a LH rifle from Mr. Kibler.

Darkhorse,

I'll probably do a left handed rifle, but no promises when.  I don't have anything against left-handers. ;)  There's considerations with the process that have to be addressed.  Fixturing is one of them.  Not as easy as just mirroring programs.  A large Siler may work, but it would require other adjustments since it's a different sized lock.  So, what I'm saying all this takes time and it's not as simple as it might seem from the outside.

Along these lines, one thing that's crucial with a new business is to pick items that are the biggest bang for the buck.  Especially at the early stages.  I have many projects in mind, but all of this takes time.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 12:56:46 AM »
Jim, I understand the problems you will encounter attempting to mirror image a longrifle. At one point I was designing and building fixtures to manufacture 5 axis wing components. Perhaps I just did this for so  long the process seems routine. And I also have no idea the fixturing you are using to hold  your stocks in the various operations. The biggest problems I see are from the lock mortice back, castoff/caston, cheek piece. Food for thought; once I had a program and tooling proved out and in production it was sometimes possible to mirror sections of the program to cut portions of the LH fixtures.
In another post you described some of the problems with carving scroll work with a NC machine. I agree completely and don't think it would be worth the time. But, you could easily cut some incised lines for mouldings. This simple addition would really enhance the finished problem.
American horses of Arabian descent.