Author Topic: Presentation of Grandson rifle and range results  (Read 1775 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Presentation of Grandson rifle and range results
« on: May 09, 2018, 05:36:21 AM »
Hello to all. Here are pics of my son and g/son receiving their silver flint longrifle . I had this project going for 3 years,and finished it in time for G/sons 14th birthday.That is him and his dad with me.
Stock built from blank our clubs late builder had,and I bought. Barrel is 36 cal McCartney that was on a rebarreled Dixie rifle from my late Marine buds collection. I wasn't about to let that barrel get away,so I rebarreled the Dixie again, and put the barrel in this wood.
Also here are the pics from last Sunday afternoon at the range
25 yd off the bag for figerring it out. Funny thing is I hadn't had the opportunity to fire it til then, Dylan just shot it with Pauls sights, and his first shots are on the lower right leg of the x. He raised POA, and the rest of em are near spiders. I told him he will find that center is a very elusive quest, but I know he will find it.
He also knocked down 5 of the 12" steel buffalo sillouettes at 40 yds.
The rifle is a bit long for him now, but at the rate he consumes food, that wont take long.
I appreciate all your help and input, and kudos to Bama for engraving the cheek oval.
Have a goodun,y'all !! Dave  8) 8)

Offline stubshaft

Re: Presentation of Grandson rifle and range results
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:21 AM »
You can see the unbridled look of excitement on your g/sons face.  Great looking gun and shoots good too.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Iktomi

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
 Lucky grandson and one happy kid. Bringing him up right. Well done!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
 ;) ;)... Great build, Dave,... great looking rifle,... lucky grandson,... something he will cherish and pass down, along with stories of old Grand-Pap,... !!!!

Jack Romanchock

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Dave: It is fantastic to see young people getting acquainted with our passion, Thanks for promoting the future enthusiast

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »
What it's all about,nicely done sir!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »
Your grandson will cherish that beautiful rifle.  He will also probably hunt with it; ain't that simply cool?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
Many thanks guys. We have to snatch our times togather when we can,but the poor guy is a LOT like his Gpaw.hahaha. Hallelujah !! Now he needs to learn how to work on his dads car,like I did. LOL  Dave
Next we set up a horn and pouch, and that is underway. 8) 8)

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »
That is awesome Mountainman70!  I hope to one day be able to spend some time with my grandson. We live in Ohio and the grandkids( two granddaughters and the one grandson) live  in South Dakota. Hopefully when I retire, I can go out to visit them often and pass on the hunting tradition.  The grandkids already have .22 rifles that I bought them for their 10th birthdays. I also made them kid's bows and arrows and they have learned to shoot them well.  They can throw hawks better than I can.  I want to introduce them to blackpowder shooting.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »
Awesome gift Grandpa Dave!  I’m now officially behind the power curve  :o on rifles for grandkids. I better get started soon...I ain’t getting any younger!

Great job on a very meaningful heirloom...and starting another generation down the right path.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »
Your a lucky man an so is your son/grandson , Lucky all around (all the best) Ed

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
What a lovely most touching gift,  a family heirloom, even a family tradition, I hope your grandson does the same for his grandson in time.  This is how thing should be in families.

Kind regards

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:24:43 AM »
Thanks again . Y'all know how to make a ol mans heart happy !!1
Back in 1976,when I got involved in this life, I had no former tradition I knew of , in this  field. But,man, over the many years,campfires,shoots, life experiences with other 'skinners, here I am, made it to Hivernan status, and now able to pass on what I have received.
My heart is full. Thanks,bros! May GrandmotherMoon shine on your Lodges always. RedBear / Dave 8) 8)