Author Topic: Fired a Short Started PRB  (Read 2672 times)

Fiftyfour

Fired a Short Started PRB
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:27:48 PM »
I hate to admit that  I was not focusing on the task and did this.  Is it common that this happens?
It it likely the barrel is damaged? The barrel is TOW  octogon to round 54 loaded  with 80 grains of 2F.
I don't see or feel a bulge.  Seems to still shoot ok. Any thoughts?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Fired a Short Started PRB
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
Very thankful you’re ok. No bulge felt or measured, inside or out?  Was it flintlock?

I can’t see it being a problem if it has no dimensional change.  But others are more cautious.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
I agree w Rich.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:31:45 AM »
I also agree with Rich Pierce. I did the same thing years ago with
a heavy Bill Large 54 caliber barrel and other than the odd sound there was nothing,
No damage detected and reloading,the gun was OK.
Brainfarts happen and this was one.

Bob Roller

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 02:12:20 AM »
"Is it common that this happens?"

Nope, but it wouldn't be the first tie I've had it happen to me...
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
Murphy's Law would dictate that the short starter had seated the ball exactly as far as a front sight or thimble dovetail, thus at the weakest part of the barrel. It sounds like Murphy took pity upon you, and let you off THIS time. But don't tempt him again!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
When you clean the rifle, you will be able to feel the loose spot if there is one, where the starter left the ball on loading.  You might have dodged a bullet (sorry for the pun).  I am a proponent of short starters, but mine are at least six inches long, sending the patched ball down the bore past the front sight and first lug dovetail.  My dear friend Acer Sackarum was not so fortunate several years ago, and had his barrel actually rupture, luckily without injury.  So, hopefully the lesson has been learned.  You don't want to make a habit of this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
If you detect no loose spots in the bore or high spots on the outside, the barrel is undamaged.  I owned a .50 Va flint rifle and somehow ended up with a loose spot about 2/3 the way down the bore.  On a good day I could, or thought I could, detect a slight bulge at the same spot by rubbing a finger back and forth on the top flat.  I honestly have no idea how it was acquired; but I obviously, at some point, did a boo boo of some sort.  That rifle continued to shoot one hole groups at 60 yards and very tight groups much farther out.  A bulge doesn't necessarily mean an injured bore but it sure is a warning to watch one's p(s) and q(s).
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rollingb

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
If you detect no loose spots in the bore or high spots on the outside, the barrel is undamaged.  I owned a .50 Va flint rifle and somehow ended up with a loose spot about 2/3 the way down the bore.  On a good day I could, or thought I could, detect a slight bulge at the same spot by rubbing a finger back and forth on the top flat.  I honestly have no idea how it was acquired; but I obviously, at some point, did a boo boo of some sort.  That rifle continued to shoot one hole groups at 60 yards and very tight groups much farther out.  A bulge doesn't necessarily mean an injured bore but it sure is a warning to watch one's p(s) and q(s).
Hanshi,.... did you notice any change in how your fired patches looked after you noticed the bulge in your barrel?
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »
I own a rifle with a D weight .50cal barrel.  I loaned it to a newby one day, and it came back with a noticeable loose spot where he had fired a short started ball...no bulging on the outside that I can feel though.  The rifle has lost none of it's one hole 50 yard accuracy, and patches are the same as prior to the accident.
On the other hand, I had to cut 1" off the muzzle of a CVA rifle once because it's owner started the ball flush with the muzzle and fired it that way...a significant and very noticeable bulge.  Wall thickness and alloy make a big difference.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
I have done it twice with the ball just inside the muzzle, the gun went "bloop" instead of bang, no damage that i could see or feel. I was shooting 90gr of 2F, the barrel was a C weight Rice in .54.

Iktomi

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
knock on wood and fingers crossed, it hasn't happened to me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
I loaded powder, patch ball seated followed by powder patch ball then short started. Blew the gun to smithereens. "Usually" , "In my experience", "just" a short started ball will not do anything bad, unless you aren't living right that day then it will ring your barrel. I have never seen catastrophic failure with just a short started ball.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Steve-In

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
I looked at a Renegade for a guy that just shot out stuck bullets.  It was like a bumpy road inside.  I advised him to get a new barrel and not shoot it when a ball got hung up.  As far as I know this rifle is still going, TICK, TICK, TICK.
I have done a few short started loads.  No damage I could find.  It sure does cruds up the bore though.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Kinda glad our group has the opposite problem,dry ballers.Cant think of any short starts,thank God but more than a few dry balls.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »
I short started a ball back in 1972 - in my TC Hawkins. My barrel bulged just like Taylor's did & TC mailed me a new barrel. I've not done it since, but
know of people who have, without any damage to their barrels- just luckier than I was, I suppose- or their barrels had thicker walls - or were made of more stern 'material'.
I have, however double balled a number of times, as well as loading 2 charges each with a ball, then firing it to clear, without damage - slightly more recoil. I figured those were
likely good 'proof' loads. This was in my .69. Good thing my patches seal, isn't it?  85gr. 3F charge + 482gr. ball x 2 + 85gr. = 1049gr. of ejecta. (this was before switching to 85gr.
2F which produces the same velocity)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »
A double powder/ball load in a 69 sounds like it could cause a bad combat dream.  :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »

[/quote]
Hanshi,.... did you notice any change in how your fired patches looked after you noticed the bulge in your barrel?
[/quote]

As it turned out, no.  Everything was just the same including the really great accuracy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.