Author Topic: Proof & View Mark Question  (Read 4392 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Proof & View Mark Question
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »
This may be of interest to those who are trying to figure out the manner in which the original barrels received their proof marks. In London, the Gunmaker's Company proofed fired barrels in rough form AND in finished state. They used a double charge of powder and ball. Rows of barrels were tested at a time. The view stamp was applied after the rough form testing and the proof mark after the test in finished form. (Paraphrased from George)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
James, in your experience, are there any instances of barrels being stamped while hot, then finish bored afterwards?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 01:34:38 AM »
Acer,

Not with proofs and not with a gunmaker's mark.   
Most gunmakers bought in their barrels in the white, so their mark had to be added as the barrel was fitted and finished, and of course proofs were stamped when the gun barrel was to it's finished dimensions.
(plenty of makers fell foul of the Gunmaker's company, for filing barrels after proof.)

A blacksmith/barrel maker in the lands of no proofs could add His mark hot if he chose.

ATB,

Pukka.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
A friend of mine just sent me this link a few days ago and I thought others might be interested in British barrel proofing circa 1951.  I had never seen the train of powder / sand trap set up for proofing barrels with temporary breech plugs......still not clear how the 18th century 3D stamps were made on barrels without severe damage to the barrel ID.  I know Mike said some of the original barrels he used were dented in the powder chamber, but knowing how hard you would have to hit the stamp to make nice, clean, 3D impressions (like those I have seen in photos), I would think the barrels would be more than dented.   ???

James Wilson Everett !!!  Where are you ?  Any ideas on this topic ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:17:51 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
Mike,

OK....so you smack the bejeeses out of it 6 times with a 4 pound hammer.....so how do you keep from distorting the bore ?
Dave . This is just my opinion but they had to put a mandrel in the bore. I don't think they cared if it deformed the bore a little. That would not effect the accuracy any.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline G_T

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »
Goo,

For hallmarking and maker's mark in precious metals, I went the opposite direction. I now use a rather heavy hammer and strike relatively slowly with it. I do not get rebound that way. The item being stamped needs to be well supported. YMMV of course!

Folks, please don't consider this advice for stamping steel or iron barrels. I've never done it. I'd likely engrave instead, though my engraving isn't good by any modern standards.

I do know that some stamps are designed to reduce metal distortion around the pattern, whereas others might be designed to make a very sharp impression. I'm thinking the former would make more sense for stamping a barrel.

Gerald

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 04:42:33 AM »
Jerry,

I think you are correct.  Just like the two immutable laws of physics (don't pull on a brick, don't push on a rope), there is no getting around the amount of force you need to apply to move metal like that.  A mandrel would be the only way to keep the bore even sort of round.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
Consider that the iron used was soft.  Even the famous stub twist barrels were just made of iron of different density.  The steel barrels of today probably make that job much harder.

Yes, I too believe the difference we experience today is in the form of the ‘metals’ used.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !