Author Topic: Which checkering set???  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Which checkering set???
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:11 AM »
Which checkering set to get?? I'm looking at learning checkering that would be done on English guns of the 1800-1850 period.  Dembart sells a beginner sets in 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24 lpi.  What LPI set should I go with to do most of my work?  Thanks guys.

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Which checkering set???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29:23 PM »
Fairly coarse, Justin.. I think I used 16 myself.  The very fine is no good for that period.
1800 could still be the very charming skip chequering.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »
Hi Richard and Justin,
Much checkering from that time was also flat topped. I had to make my own cutters for that.  I agree with Richard that 16 per inch is a good choice.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »
Unless something has changed you can not buy the tools you need.  The old checkering was flat top.  Modern is little pyramids.  Modern tools make pyramids.  You need a tool that cuts more parallel sided lines.  I made my own. They were like French skip line tools.  Monty Kennedy's checkering book goes into it. 

IF you were planning to do a lot of it get a power checkering tool.   I bet they could make a cutting wheel to do this. 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
At what period did the checkering go from flat to pyramidal?  This is what I am looking at building.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
Brownell's sells cutters in both 90 degree, and in 60 degree.  The 90 degree cutters will give you sharp pointed diamonds as in modern chequering.  The 60 degree will give you flat topped chequering as in the pistol you have illustrated ... a worthy project too I might add.  Don't go finer than 20 to the inch.  Chequering in the flit era has diamonds that are at a different ratio than modern chequering.  Modern chequering is around 3:1 while classic antique chequering is from 2:1 to 2 1/2:1.  I used Dembart 60  degree chequering tools to cut this Hawken rifle with 20 lines per inch.

...and here's an English rifle in walnut cut at 18 lpi, again with 60 degree cutters.  Looks like the ratio on this one was 1 1/2:1.  Certainly more like squares than diamonds.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:47:15 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
Justin, use the 16, and only the spacer tool.  That will give you lines on 1/8" spacing.  And do try to get the 60 deg. cutters.  you can, if you want, flatten the bottom of the teeth after you get the spacing down.

I do not remember that I have a 16 skip cutter, but will look and see what I do have and let you know.  Be glad to loan them to you.  They will easily fit into the smallest PO box.

You can PM me most anytime.  If I am not in the danged VA hospital again!

Craigo
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:02:27 AM »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:04:45 AM »
Is there any place that sells 60 degree cutter sets? My searches  don't yield much that specifies cutter angle.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:27:21 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:27:47 AM »
Justin - my largest set is an 18, meaning 18 lines per inch.  But I do a LOT of skip-line checkering, and thus I have a spacer for that.

You can do your two crossing lines with a single cutter, then start spacing them with the 9 cutter.  The smooth blade will ride in the first line while the cutting blade makes the new line 1/9th of an inch further on.

Use the single cutter to deepen your lines.  And don't worry about the 2.5:1 angles, etc.  All the early checkering I've seen has been square, with the lines crossing at 90 deg.

I made a ML pistol for my son last year - barrel was 16.357" long, so it had a forestock on it that was checkered so as to give him a grip.  Butt of the pistol was checkered using a #10 spacer, then a little sterling nail put in the center of the squares.  About used up all my patience, but it looks great.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
I’ve called Dembart and the owner is a very nice guy to talk to and can easily set you up. Just call the number on their site, they also give the cheapest prices for their products

Offline runastav

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »
Hi Guys!
On this original C.H.Kyhl Kjøbenhavn flintlock pistol ca 1790 its near Diamonds ca 18 LPI  the sear spring was broken I made a New one (The pistol is not mine unfortunately)
Runar

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »
Runar, some craftsperson really did an outstanding job on that pistol.

Is it an original or a reproduction?  Beautiful job either way.

Craigo
Craig Wilcox

Offline runastav

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
Yes Craigo it is a original made ca 1790 by C.H.Kyhl in Copenhagen Denmark
Runar

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Which checkering set to get?? I'm looking at learning checkering that would be done on English guns of the 1800-1850 period.  Dembart sells a beginner sets in 16, 18, 20, 22, and 24 lpi.  What LPI set should I go with to do most of my work?  Thanks guys.

Has anyone tried the thread restoring files that have 4 different threads
on them? I have heard of this but have had no reason to try it.

Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
Yes Craigo it is a original made ca 1790 by C.H.Kyhl in Copenhagen Denmark
Runar

it is a firearm to treasure for the ages, Runastav!

I think you for showing it/

Craigo
Craig Wilcox