Author Topic: My first gun engraving!!  (Read 4847 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: My first gun engraving!!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
Peter, what you said about the pencil guiding the graver makes perfect sense to me.  When I'm engraving a gun, in my waking minutes of the morning, I see in my mind's eye, patterns, scrolls, tendrils, leaves and vines.  It is an unconscious thing, but a blessing.  I think the more you immerse yourself into engraving, the more that will happen, and the more interesting your designs will evolve.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
One of the things that has helped me with my own engraving is the digital camera (or now my phone camera).  For whatever reason, things that look OK to my eye in person all of a sudden don't look so good when I take a picture and look at it on the computer screen much larger than real life.  The camera's eye is unflinching when it comes to displaying errors and it has been hugely useful to me to look at a picture of the drawn design after I think it looks good and I'm ready to start cutting metal.  I almost always see something in the photo that I didn't see first hand and that needs improvement.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:59:19 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
Dave, this is an excellent suggestion!
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »
That's why your stuff looks as good as it does Dave!  The same can be said for carving as far as a technique goes.  a 1" x 1" area blown up on a computer to 6" x 6" sure shows a bunch of warts you didn't know about before doesn't it?