Author Topic: ddoyle's comment on brass pan chargers... ???  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Arcturus

Re: ddoyle's comment on brass pan chargers... ???
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 02:05:41 AM »
When I use one of the brass pan chargers, it is tethered to the strap of my bag, and once my gun is primed the charger goes back in my bag under the flap.  (Same place anything on a lanyard attached to my bag goes...inside the bag)  Never understood the guys who don't attach things to their bags (or carry bags at all) because of "danglies" possibly hanging up on brush or branches--- common sense says put it under the flap and back in your bag.  This is doubly true when the item is full of powder and could blow up if exposed to sparks or fire.  I would never have one hanging in the open while firing, and I definitely don't want it around my neck.

I feel sad to hear of the fellow who lost part of his hand.  But honestly, if he intentionally touched off a lock while still holding the charger in the vicinity of the lock, he was guilty of handling that lock and charger in a negligent fashion, akin to smoking a cigarette while pumping gasoline.  Powder horns can explode too if not handled carefully.
Jerry

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 04:18:49 AM »
I've shot a pile of critters with one around my neck. 

Never had any clue that it was slightly dangerous.  Learn something new every day. 

I do clean the valve regularly.  And don't use the one around my neck except in times of a quick need...

I have a bigger one for the range and a different one I keep in my bag for when I'm priming in the woods typically.  The one around my neck if for times I need a quick one..

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 06:29:56 AM »
I carry one around my neck along with a vent pic and it is tucked inside my shirt when not in use. 50+ years or so. I do like Dave Cs pan charger and idea though with it's blow out feature.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »
I never push the plunger against the pan. I place the tip of my finger over the plunger, turn the thing upside down and push the plunger 2-3 times and then dump the charge in the pan...

This tends to keep my priming charge consistent as I don't accidentally dump a big wad of ffff in the pan and don't goop up the end of the plunger.

Mike

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
When I use one of the brass pan chargers, it is tethered to the strap of my bag, and once my gun is primed the charger goes back in my bag under the flap.  (Same place anything on a lanyard attached to my bag goes...inside the bag)  Never understood the guys who don't attach things to their bags (or carry bags at all) because of "danglies" possibly hanging up on brush or branches--- common sense says put it under the flap and back in your bag.  This is doubly true when the item is full of powder and could blow up if exposed to sparks or fire.  I would never have one hanging in the open while firing, and I definitely don't want it around my neck.

I feel sad to hear of the fellow who lost part of his hand.  But honestly, if he intentionally touched off a lock while still holding the charger in the vicinity of the lock, he was guilty of handling that lock and charger in a negligent fashion, akin to smoking a cigarette while pumping gasoline.  Powder horns can explode too if not handled carefully.
I agree with you reply
As I said in a previous thread I have been using a small priming horn with the brass push nozzle since I made the horn in 1976.  I always put the priming horn back in the bag under the flap before firing my rifle.  Same at the range.
 I know people who have cut off fingers using power saws and table saws.  Not being alert will cause trouble. People get killed on tractors by taking them places that they do not belong.  Use common sensce and you should be ok.
 I will continue to do as I have always done with using my priming horn.
iloco

ClaudeH

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
I am so glad I asked about this!

I am going to look into some pressure relieving modification to my new-bought charger.

Also I will heed advice about not gunking up the tip and keeping the primer in a safe place during firing.

Are there specific rules regarding the use and location of the primer in the NMLRA rulebook that I should review?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
Rules.....thinking you should first register your new destructive device with the BATF,after you pay your tax stamp they will give you the rules :o

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »
I never push the plunger against the pan. I place the tip of my finger over the plunger, turn the thing upside down and push the plunger 2-3 times and then dump the charge in the pan...

This tends to keep my priming charge consistent as I don't accidentally dump a big wad of ffff in the pan and don't goop up the end of the plunger.

Mike

Mine is tethered to my bag when hunting. I hate having to climb down from a stand to retrieve something. On the range it's in my pocket or off to the side on a bench. Not for safety issues. I don't like clutter and have enough hanging off me when hunting. In practice, especially i humid weather, I push the nozzle against the rim of the pan rather than the bottom to avoid gunk thatI should have wiped out.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »

Mike

Mine is tethered to my bag when hunting. I hate having to climb down from a stand to retrieve something. On the range it's in my pocket or off to the side on a bench. Not for safety issues. I don't like clutter and have enough hanging off me when hunting. In practice, especially i humid weather, I push the nozzle against the rim of the pan rather than the bottom to avoid gunk thatI should have wiped out.

I keep mine tethered to the strap on my bag as well.

Mike

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:39 AM »
This is my priming horn made from deer bone.  After reading all the cautionaries about brass springy thingies, I'm thinking this would be safe.  It doesn't touch the pan when priming and has a closing peg.  It's small and fits nicely in a pocket or hunting bag, preferably a pocket, don't want to lose this one.  Any negative advice or just opinions on safety are appreciated.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:58 AM »
That should work fine, hanshi - how thin did you make the bone when hollowing it out?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
That's gorgeous Hanshi, thanks for sharing.  Love your solution Dave.  I'll be modifying my brass pipe before I use it again--and also be gettin' mo serious about making a pocket horn and a finishing my big horn.

Before this thread I'd not really grasped the issue with brass tubes.  Now I do, and will act accordingly.
Hold to the Wind

ClaudeH

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 06:20:01 PM »
Rules.....thinking you should first register your new destructive device with the BATF,after you pay your tax stamp they will give you the rules :o

Yeah, rules.  They have those at Friendship and other matches you know.

"Are there specific rules regarding the use and location of the primer in the NMLRA rulebook that I should review?"

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
Relax,funnin a little with you is all.I'm sure if you dig a little you will find your answer.All these beware threads,while I get it,perhaps some new information,perhaps a different opinion kinda get me scratching my head.You have folks using these things for years,nothing,you have a fellow look sideways at one for the first time and he's less a few fingers.You get into this sport,spend enough time,know enough folks,listen to enough stories,stuff like this is going to happen.Gun powder,electric,gasoline and alike,natural gas,LP,fast cars,guns,high places,certain woman,ect.ect.ect play with any of this stuff long enough,even in the best of times s@$t happens.No rhyme or reason sometimes,it's like the gun barrel steel debate.All you can do is try to do everything in the safest possible way and hope your numbers not going to come up.

ClaudeH

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
Okay, Joe.  I'm relaxed. 8)

Just that it is a legitimate question because"  a) I might fire on the line at Friendship for the first time this year and don't want to be called put on an obscure rule about my use of the pan charger, and b) I figure if NMLRA has a rule about pan chargers it was probably made for good reason that may throw light on the subject.

Having said that, I admit that this forum is not particularly focused on competitive shooting.

From this thread I have learned that the brass chargers are, in essence, pipe bombs although the risk is apparently slight so long as they are used sensibly.

I'm wondering if one of those rubber blow-out plugs on pressure cooker lids could be retrofitted to a brass charger and if that would eliminate their bomb-like character?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
I like Taylor's fix,quick and easy.Drilling a hole a glueing a leather patch over the hole.Theres your pressure relief,for the most part.Wonder if you need to make sure it's empty of priming powder first ???

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »
Daryl, I didn't make the bone priming horn.  It was made by a member on another forum and gifted to me out of the blue; this was several years ago.  His note to me, it was with the horn, said he reads my posts and  thinks I am a really nice guy - and I am, ahem! - a really nice guy, that is.  It's small and made from the leg bone.  It holds about as much powder as the brass ones so it must have been thinned at least some.  It's certainly very light even with powder.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.