Author Topic: Chaw strap  (Read 3326 times)

Offline varsity07840

Chaw strap
« on: May 14, 2018, 01:02:00 AM »
Does anyone use a chaw strap when shooting a smoothie? I've seen the term used but am not clear on how it's used.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Chaw strap
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:23:38 AM »
I have not the foggiest idea of what you’re talking about. The term is totally foreign to me.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
Piece of leather nailed or attached to the gun you put in your mouth to help steady your hold. never tried leather  in a smoothie.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:01:03 AM »
Interesting,never heard of that before,like to see a picture of that.

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:12 AM »
Tie a piece of leather around trigger guard.  use a knot  on the loose end to bite  so that it steady's your head snd allow you to get the same check weld ever time on the stock.  May have to try to see size of knot and placement.

Carney

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:26:02 AM »
Thanks. I kind of thought that was the purpose, but I’ve never seen it used.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
Tie a piece of leather around trigger guard.  use a knot  on the loose end to bite  so that it steady's your head snd allow you to get the same check weld ever time on the stock.  May have to try to see size of knot and placement.

Carney

Interesting "fix" for an on-existent problem.  Someone who needs this to get the same cheek location and pressure on the stock needs to learn to shoot.

edited - "in my honest opinion, that is".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:07:21 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
Sounds like a great way to loose some teeth too.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 03:14:36 PM »
 Not only is that quite possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard of, but it also seems like real good way to transfer lead from your hands, to your mouth.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
It’s an old school thing, oft repeated (no peep sights, shaders, or chaw straps), seldom seen.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
Not only is that quite possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard of, but it also seems like real good way to transfer lead from your hands, to your mouth.

Hungry Horse
They outlawed them at Friendship years ago., only reason I knew anything about them. Back in those days I knew several guys who put several lead balls in their mouth when they were in a speed shoot to speed up the loading process. They're still alive too....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
 Mike, as a young lad I hunted my dads farm every evening with a pellet gun, and carried the pellets in my mouth, because in most cases the front pocket of my jeans had holes in them. Now you know why I’m the way I am.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
Mike, as a young lad I hunted my dads farm every evening with a pellet gun, and carried the pellets in my mouth, because in most cases the front pocket of my jeans had holes in them. Now you know why I’m the way I am.

Hungry Horse

Quite likely, MOST of us did that, HH.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »

Hungry Horse

I thought I was the only one that did that!  I still remember the taste of the oil on Benjamin pellets...
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Iktomi

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 02:58:11 AM »
Learn something new every day. I never heard of a "chaw strap" before. I was thinking the thread title had something to do with 'baccy  :-*

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
Chaw strap.   even the very term sounds like a 1970's rodyvoo......   :-)
I carried my airgun pellets in trouser pocket. they were always stained dark grey, LOL.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:09 AM »
Now you know why some of these folks are the way they are,probably ate paint chips of the window sills too :o

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »
we mebbe ate our lead soldiers as well, Joe.

I think we already admitted we all played with mercury....

Online Carper

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
When I was a young boy in our rifle shop lots of rifles that came in had old style locks before good locks became readily available. I can’t tell you the number of folks who said that strip of leather hanging from the wrist was an aid to accuracy or something called a chaw strap when in reality it was a much more practical item. A bazillion old locks had no half cock notch. If you wanted to carry your rifle capped the end few inches of that strap was rolled into a sort of leather log and wedged between the hammer and drum to keep the hammer face off the cap. When you cocked the hammer to full cock the leather fell away readying for the shot. I am aware some real chaw straps may have existed.

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »

Carney

Interesting "fix" for an on-existent problem.  Someone who needs this to get the same cheek location and pressure on the stock needs to learn to shoot.

edited - "in my honest opinion, that is".

;D ;D ;D
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 12:19:29 AM »
If a shooter believes something works and he can psyche out his competitors he has s better chance of winning, whether there is any practical benefit or not.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
 I think there may have been a fair degree of “ ya’ll watch what I can get these dumb ass pilgrims to do” going on as well. I was caught by a couple of these set ups, way back when. Not only did I provide these guys with hours of stories, and endless laughter, but, I were so busy concentrating on getting all the details just right, that I didn’t shoot worth a darn, which was the point after all.

Hungry Horse

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:45 AM »
I remember speaking with Allen Martin at Lewisburg a few years ago.  He recalled seeing several originals that had reminents of leather straps hanging from the trigger guard.  He attributed these as Jaw Straps.
Kunk

J.E. Moore

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 04:03:20 AM »
Sound like the same logic as a kisser button on a bow.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
It only goes to show that not all things conceived should go full term, and some of  those that do, should be drowned at birth...   ;)