Author Topic: Shooting pouch size?  (Read 1822 times)

Tracker0721

Shooting pouch size?
« on: May 14, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
So I’m trying to make up my first bit of kit and have a horn half done on the bench, rifle is done for now, and I’ve realized I need a bag so I can go out shooting. Im thinking I might just layer up some burlap and make a little sack but a quick search had the top result of Crazy Crow trading post and the bags under $50 seem to vary in size a good bit. Rifles a percussion Hawken if that changes anything?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Elnathan

Re: Shooting pouch size?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:02:28 PM »
Shooting bag size is a pretty personal thing. Most folks tend to start out big, and then go smaller as they get more experienced and dump a lot of extraneous stuff. OTOH, going too small can be kind of a problem for folks with big hands.

Also, the measurements of a bag are bigger when laid flat than when filled with stuff.

Making a quick trial pouch out of stiff but cheap cloth is a really good idea, as it will allow you to get an idea of what you like before cutting into leather. I might tentatively suggest an 8"x8" square (don't forget to add a seam allowance) - and go from there.

Might look at this design too: https://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/skchbk01.html
Pieces look to be around 9x9, kind of on the big side,  but the available space will shrink once the seams are sewn.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:16:37 PM »
I might add that the two leather ones I made, one is 7" deep and 6" wide while the other flips that with 6" deep and 7" wide.  I don't carry much in mine when hunting; just ball, patches, primer and extra flint - the powder horn is attached to the bag strap.  When I deer hunt I often as not just tote premeasured charges, lubed patches, 5 extra ball and a tiny prime horn in my pockets.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:32:30 PM »
Yeah I was looking at the 7-8” square ones with the inch or 2” gusset. Figure I could keep a few shots on one of those boards, I got a cap holder, and then I could just have the maintenance bits and pieces in a little bag at the bottom. My powder measure has a hidden pick and my nipple wrench is one of those with the little claw to pull out the key. I just recall seeing these big ole bags but in researching it looks like just a small pouch tucked up under the arm.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
I've made some excellent bags using canvas, and lined them with denim patch material.  That is very inexpensive, and you can and will make several before you settle on a design that works for you.  I like what is sometimes called a hanging pocket on the inside to the back of the bag for the balls.  That keeps them up off the bottom of the bag, where other tools and such lay, and makes finding and removing balls much easier.  On flint rifle bags, I also like a pouch sewn to the outside of the back of the bag, for my flint-knapper/turnscrew.
On a Hawken bag, I sew pockets to the front of the pouch separated by a centre seam.  One is for my capper, and the other is for my pre-cut and lubed patch container.  On all of my bags, I sew a leather tube on the front of the strap for my starter.
Shoulder strap:  make it short enough that when you put your hand into the pouch to retrieve something, you still have arm extension remaining.  Otherwise, when you are digging for an item, you'll look like a dog chasing its tail.  I hand my horn on a separate strap, and suspend it above the pouch so when I lift the lid of the bag, the horn is not in the way, and so that when I have to move quickly my arm pins the horn to my side under the weight of the rifle in my hand.
TC Albert wrote a nice book on pouch making ...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.