Author Topic: New Rifle  (Read 3238 times)

Offline MGillman

New Rifle
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »
Newly surfaced Rifle with unusual Patchbox ans inlays., in very fine condition. The barrel is its original length. Nice checkering on the wrist., lock works perfect. Nice engraving on the Breech and muzzle end of the barrel. Anyone have any ideas about where it was made? If anyone has any idea of value ?
the owner was named Emmanuel Bromwell

Offline MGillman

Re: New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 04:48:59 AM »
I would expect Robb to chime in here pretty soon. Certainly has some Shreckenghost looking attributes!!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »
Hi,
Bromwell is probably the maker not the owner unless he made it for himself.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
 Schreckengost made the rifle and signed it with the buyers name. I've seen many other examples done this way. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:52:21 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
Hi,
Did Schreckengost also sign somewhere?

dave

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
His signature is all over the gun. He hand forged that patent breach. The double tang and it's engraving, The patch box and inlays  are all his work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
His signature is all over the gun. He hand forged that patent breach. The double tang and it's engraving, The patch box and inlays  are all his work.

8)  It's great when there's no confusion. Thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
Examples of him signing other names on his rifles.

Signed John McCann

Signed Lincoln G. Shreckengost

This one he signed with W. Shr and the owner's name J. Mertilson.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:54:36 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
Hi Shreckmeister,
Thanks for the photos but you don't need to convince me that Shreckengost signed owners names on some of his guns.  I'll take your word for it.  However, I am not familiar with his guns so for me I don't recognize the signatures all over the rifle and seeing the name engraved on the barrel would misdirect me as to who made the gun.  So my original question stands, did he also sign his guns when he engraved barrels with the owner's names?

dave

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
Sorry, I thought I answered that.  The one signature I posted is one of only two where he signed his name and the owner's name on it.
One barrel says " Wm Shreckengost for Daniel Boyer" and the year.  I don't have a photo of it though.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:13:52 PM »
His most interesting signature is "William G. Shreckengost, Putneyville, PA In the year 1892"  script engraved on a custom
target ramp sight he made.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:15:27 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:16 AM »
Rob,
Thanks for sharing your research and knowledge on the Shreckengost family  and other gunsmiths from this area .AS far as I know you have studied this more than anyone and I value your opinion.
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 05:27:47 AM »
Thanks Jim. I enjoy sharing what I find

Offline MGillman

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
As a student of the American longrifle here are my observances of this rifle I have posted. The second photo shows super fine Architecture. The second set trigger is mirrored by the trigger spur on the guard, the checking is laid out in a nice even flow following the curve of the wrist. In the World Of Kentucky Rifles today, so many have been altered and the original finish is disturbed. The real beauty in a rifle like this is that it was made of hard straight grained maple and being that way your eyes are not distracted by the curl and the Art work stands out all on its own. Not many rifles remain in this condition today. It may be placed in a Top Museum Collection one day.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
We recently held a longrifle show at our local gun club and there were 17 Shreckengost rifles there.  One elderly man named Shreckengost passed away about 2 years ago
and left 10 rifles to his son.  I hadn't had the opportunity to view them in about 5 years and really enjoyed seeing them with a more critical eye having seen about 50 examples
since I last saw his collection.  Nearly all of his were untouched rifles.  Another man brought the tools and inlay templates from the gunshop which auctioned by the grandson of
the maker in the 1970s.  It was a splendid event to see so much of the man's work gathered in one place.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:08:32 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
Great stuff Shreck!!!!

Mitch

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
I'm sure you recognize that second picture Mitch. Still loving my silver box thanks