Author Topic: Earliest brass mounted version of a 1st Model Virginia Manufactory Rifle  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Mattox Forge

The earliest version of a 1st Model Virginia Manufactory Rifle has surfaced from parts unknown and is up for auction. I think this is the best looking version of this rifle.

https://historical.ha.com/itm/long-guns/muzzle-loading/unique-and-fine-1st-model-virginia-manufactured-flintlock-rifle-with-brass-rattlesnake-patch-box-previously-unknown/a/6188-40034.s

The patch box art work is slightly different than the later iron mounted first model in that the writing is rightside up when viewing the piece from the right, whereas the later version had it readable by the shooter when he looked at the butt while holding the piece.

The trigger guard is different than the iron mounted guns as well. It is more like the 2nd model, in fact the whole thing looks more like the 2nd model than the first model.

On the forearms (and also running back from the lock to the cheek rest) there appears to be a raised vein of wood. Do you think that is an actual feature, or is it a reflection?

This is so different from the 1st model, it seems like a completely different design, the 0th Model perhaps?

Well, I'll have to revise my plans for making this one. My brass Rifle Shoppe castings are not correct...

Mike

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:55:56 AM by mmcalc »

Offline Longknife

Mike,  That's a nice piece! Why make a copy?,,, Go ahead and BID!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mattox Forge

;D

Well then I couldn't afford to retire!

I would love to buy that rifle. I think it is marvelous.

I need to find a Rice or Getz 46" Golden age barrel now. I bought a 44" Colerain. The only thing I can keep is my Rifle Shoppe lock.

Mike

Offline Hlbly

Brought 25,000.

Offline Mattox Forge

It is probably a one of a kind.

It really only sold for the opening bid. The $25,000 includes the buyer's premium.

I also wonder why they think it was converted to percussion. A flintlock would have burn marks on it as well.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:17:10 AM by mmcalc »