Author Topic: Mountain Rifle - Thoughts?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline gibster

Mountain Rifle - Thoughts?
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
Had a call the other day from a local guy that had a rifle he wanted to sell. It was his Fathers and he really didn't know anything about it. I met with him yesterday and this is what he had.  It's iron mounted, no entry thimble or nose cap. The barrel has been shortened about 1 1/2-inches, so there may have been one originally, but I doubt it.  I think it has always been percussion. The lock may or may not be original. Hard to tell with the way the crack going through the wrist and ending in front of the lock has opened up. Once closed, it may fit the mortise like it should. This is a well used rifle that hasn't been messed with.  I'll stabilize the wrist but that's about it.  I can't place where this one may have been made. The lock panels and the cheek rest are unique and hopefully will narrow down where it came from.  The tang has a single screw and is about 3-inches long ending in a point.  Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Offline Howard

Re: Mountain Rifle - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:33:29 AM »
Eric,  That is a neat old gun.  Congratulations on your new find.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
Neat old gun Eric but I haven't a clue except I feel sure it came from somewhere below the Mason/Dixon line. Pretty interesting Cherokee that's new to me.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:50 AM »
 ??? ??? ???..... Now, I'm curious,... where does " Cherokee" come into the mix,...???

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:40 AM »
Quote from: Cades Cove Fiddler
 ??? ??? ???..... Now, I'm curious,... where does " Cherokee" come into the mix,...???
[/quote

Wondering the same thing?
JIM

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
Computer may have spelled cheekpiece for him.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »
That is a cool piece. I like the interesting Cherokee cheek-piece too.  ;D  Thanks for sharing it with us.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »
Neat old gun Eric but I haven't a clue except I feel sure it came from somewhere below the Mason/Dixon line. Pretty interesting Cherokee that's new to me.
Dennis
Ha Ha, I was looking all thru the previous posts for mention of Cherokee and see it was me, at least my tablet. It decided that instead of cheekrest I meant Cherokee! I was referring to that unusual cheekrest.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Lord have mercy, Dennis !!! I thought I loved to take words outta context,and mess with em,too. Made my day, y'all !!!Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »
 8) 8)... .."CHEROKEE",... !!!! ... in Walter M. Cline book, he mentions a Cherokee Indian in Western N. Carolina named "Salola",... "The Squirrel" as a gunsmith on the Qualla Reservation,....I had hoped this gun was perhaps one by his hand,.... !!!! ... guess we can keep looking,......  ::) ::) ::),...... !!! ...... regards, C C Fiddler,....

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »
I’ve seen that same shaping on an East Tennessee Rifle. It may have been a Laben McInturrf Rifle. I’ll need to dig through my notes.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320