Author Topic: Making a Triggerguard for an English Sporting Gun - Updated Photos Added  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
The Staudenmayer English sporting gun I am currently building has a trigger guard a little different from any I am familiar with, and is not commercially available.  Originally a standard scroll type guard was purchased for the project, and would have served well on the gun - however using it would have been too easy, right?  :D

I started with some 3/4" mild steel stock purchased from a local farm and home store, bent a tab for the retaining screw and used a monkey wrench to bend the main body of the trigger bow.  All bending was done cold, and adjusted by eyeballing it guard against the gun drawing and some photos.

Getting close on the bow curve:

Here are a couple of photos of the guard on the original gun:

Doing a little trimming of the width - this step could have been done before bending as well:

Drilling and tapping for the guard screw, 1/4" x 28 tpi.

Screw is in place, it will be cut off and braised to make it permanent.  Notice the factory guard behind the one in progress.  The bow is considerably larger, big enough for double triggers.

I cut a couple of small pieces for the inside back of the bow (the spur?),  riveted the three pieces together, then silver soldered the whole mess in place.

Then I cut and bent some stock for the rear of the grip rail, and braised the two pieces together:

Now comes the fun part - filing and cleanup to make it all look more like a trigger guard than a chunk of scrap:

Now it is to the point I can attach it to the rifle and refine the shape while seeing what it will look like on the gun. 

I will look at it over the next couple of days and continue to refine it if I see something that needs improved.  Then I can inlet the grip rail and when the time comes, engrave like the original! 

As always thanks for looking!
Curtis
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:57:24 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline stubshaft

Re: Making a Triggerguard for an English Sporting Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:15:23 AM »
Very innovative.  Great job of matching the two guards.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
Nice job, Curtis!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »
Looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
Very nice work ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
Nicely done,these how to make it threads are great information for folks not able to find that certain part for their build

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
There are two things that I'd like to address Curtis, if I may.  First, in your drawing, you have a significant hump where the tang ends and the wrist begins...I'd like to see that curved out.
Your guard is very neatly made and will serve well.  I've included a picture of the guard from my Joseph Lang rifle, to illustrate how the guard is filed starting at the centre and ending in a very thin flat along the edges.  Your guard appears to be rounded along the edges.  This filing I have described makes the guard metal appear to be very thin when in fact it is not.  Does that make any sense?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:01:44 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »
Nice job Curtis thanks for going to the trouble to share the techniques used to make the guard. Tim

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:18 PM »
There are two things that I'd like to address Curtis, if I may.  First, in your drawing, you have a significant hump where the tang ends and the wrist begins...I'd like to see that curved out.

Taylor, Curtis,
I think that “hump”may be an optical illusion.
Looks to me like the plan view paper is not laid out flat on the table in that picture. Seems to be several wrinkles and bumps in the sheet paper.
My guess is that the hump will disappear if the plan is laid flat.

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:15:36 AM »
Thank you for all your comments gentlemen!  I appreciate them all.

There are two things that I'd like to address Curtis, if I may.  First, in your drawing, you have a significant hump where the tang ends and the wrist begins...
.... I've included a picture of the guard from my Joseph Lang rifle, to illustrate how the guard is filed starting at the centre and ending in a very thin flat along the edges.  Your guard appears to be rounded along the edges.  This filing I have described makes the guard metal appear to be very thin when in fact it is not.  Does that make any sense?

Very good eye Taylor, on both items!  On the first item Norm is correct, the drawing is stacked and sandwiched among books and sundry things on my bench and the "hump" in the photo is an optical illusion.  Fortunately the fellow who made the tracing pf the rifle did a very nice job of it and the wrist is contoured as it should be. 

Secondly, your observation concerning the edges of my guard being too rounded is spot on, and your photo and description of the proper edge make perfect sense.  I have been filing away at the guard now and then in between stock work and such, refining and tweeking it as I go.   I will post some additional photos when I think it's close to right, and would appreciate your critique when I do.

Your Joseph Lang rifle is truly a delight, I have the photos you posted of it saved on my computer for study.  Track and MBS sell a guard similar to the one on your Lang rifle and I considered using one of those, however I was afraid that style may not have been in use yet in the flint era.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Making a Triggerguard for an English Sporting Gun - Updated Photos Added
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
I promised Taylor I would post updated photos of the trigger guard when I had it closer to finished, so here they are as promised!  Took a while to get back to serious work on the project.

Thanks for looking!
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
I just made a trigger guard for copy of NE 17 in Grinslade's book. Made the master out of sheet brass out of three parts soldered and pinned together. Then I took the master and had it sand cast, then filed out my casting for the final product. People have no idea how much work this sort of thing adds to the time it takes to build a gun, lots of time.

Yours  turned out excellent BTW.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
Nice job Curtis. There isn't many guys like you anymore. Guys like you make this place worth looking at.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
I really like your engraving. Thats a skill I wish I had.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 11:30:49 PM »
Tks Curtis- amazing work. I've saved the pictures to show Taylor when he gets home, in case he can't find this thread.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 01:06:51 AM »
Im amazed at the beautiful work you gugs do. Great job Curtis. Hey Daryl we spell our name the same.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »
Im amazed at the beautiful work you guys do. Great job Curtis. Hey Daryl wespell our name the same.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »
Daryl, you already said that. ;)

np
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:04:25 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys, knowing one's work is appreciated really makes it all worthwhile!  And that applies double you Mike and Jerry, I greatly admire your work and the diversity of craftsmanship and knowledge you bring to this site.

Rolf - as I mentioned before I am still a novice engraver, (just persistent at trying) and with your attention to detail I feel you could engrave better than I do.  Practice, practice!  I tend to just jump in and start a project, if I practiced more I would engrave much better.

Daryl - I didn't realize Taylor was away, thanks for saving the pictures for him.

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline hudson

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
Beautiful work, and if you are like me time with the hacksaw and files are not considered time lost but good therapy. I do not build for profit just myself and family.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 12:38:06 AM »
Outstanding!
Was that silver soldered, welded, or brazed?  Really nice, it looks like one piece when you get it done.  And you can engrave a TG for me any old time - just getting started.  I think the pointy end of the little graver think goes first, doesn't it?  And you beat on the dull end?
Thanks for showing us such great work.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
That's really nice work, Curtis.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 06:01:59 AM »
Very nice clean work Curtis!  You do a grand job.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »
Looking good, Curtis. Looking good. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline ScottH

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
Curtis,
Great work on the trigger guard!

Have you posted the completed rifle yet??