Author Topic: Making a Triggerguard for an English Sporting Gun - Updated Photos Added  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Making a Triggerguard for an English Sporting Gun - Updated Photos Added
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
Well done!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 01:42:19 AM »
Very nice job on the guard and the engraving.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
Thanks fellers! You are too kind! 

Craig, the guard joined with silver solder.  All I had on hand was brass colored silver solder... it shows a bit in the trigger bow.

Scott, No final pictures have been posted yet, the gun is still a work in progress.  I have yet to checker the stock and I just got my gold for the barrel bands in the mail this afternoon.  The gun will have a .62 caliber rifled octagon barrel and a 12 gauge smooth octagon to round, interchangeable.   So it may be a while yet before I get it all done and a finish applied to the barrels.

I probably shouldn't post these yet as I may still attempt to refine the engraving a bit, but here are a couple teaser photos:

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »
Nice! I've added these pictures to the file. tks
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »
Thats going to be a beautiful gun!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Nice Curtis.  Are you going to checker the wrist?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »
Seeing this fine work, humbles me a lot.
But it gives great inspiration to keep trying.
Thank you for showing and sharing.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »
Thanks guys!  :D

'
Nice Curtis.  Are you going to checker the wrist?

dave

Yes Dave, I am getting ready to layout the checkering in the next day or two - it will be my first attempt at checkering.  Got a question for you, do you use a chekering cradle or just a vice and perhaps your lap?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 11:58:57 PM »
Hi Curtis,
I just use my pattern makers vise.  Masking tape can be really useful for laying out the edges of your design.

dave

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave.  A friend of mine once recommended auto pinstripe for checkering layout because of it's thickness and resistance to lateral bending.  I will be trying it as well as masking tape as you mentioned and report back in a new thread as to how well each works for me.  I purchased some pinstripe in 1/8" and 1/4" widths.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Hi Curtis,
Yes pin striping should be good.  The edge of masking tape is less rigid and can wobble about, however, I use it just to play around with the borders while designing the pattern on the stock not as a guide for my cutter.

dave

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 07:31:09 AM »
Hi Curtis,
Yes pin striping should be good.  The edge of masking tape is less rigid and can wobble about, however, I use it just to play around with the borders while designing the pattern on the stock not as a guide for my cutter.

dave

Excellent and useful information Dave, thanks for the clarification!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
Thanks for bringing this back to my attention Curtis.  Your guard looks splendid, especially in context with the gun itself.  Your engraving certainly befits the era and adds much to the charm of the piece.  Nicely done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 01:53:48 AM »
This may be too late to the game. Also, I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but I found Dymo labeling tape to be Just the ticket for laying out checkering.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 06:00:20 AM »
Curtis, I love everything about your gun. I am a huge fan of English style arms and yours captures that spirit in spades. I am very interested in the lock, would it be possible to get some more info and inside photos of the lock and the sliding safety feature/construction details. Great gun and thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »
Taylor, thanks for adding you comments, your input is graciously appreciated!  I hope and aspire one day I can do engraving at a level comparable to yours.

Jeff, I have read about using Dymo labeling tape in some of my checkering research, thanks for posting the info here.  I haven't started the checkering yet, after looking online on how to do flat top checkering it appears I have at least one more tool to manufacture to make it look correct.  When I post the checkering I'll include photos of the tool.

Smylee, I appreciate your comments also!  I posted about the lock when I made the sliding safety for it, pictures of the process and the inside of the lock can be seen here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=49314.0

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
Looking great, Curtis!  Your engraving is impressive.  For checkering, I’ve used the pinstripe tape for layout with good results.  Keep us posted!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
For chequering layout, I cut strips of plastic sheeting about 3/8" - 1/2" wide, and secure the ends to the wood out past the pattern area with masking tape.  Often, in setting up those first two lines for your pattern, you will have to left them off and adjust by moving a little, then sticking it down again.  The masking tape is good for that.  The plastic sheet material gives a nice clean stiff line to trace with your scribe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 03:39:57 AM »
Curtis, your work always impresses me - clean, neat, artistic and workmanlike.
A little late, but:
Next time you are out of SILVER silver solder, holler!  I almost always have some on hand.  Mostly I use the paste version of lowest temp stuff, but I do have a couple pennyweights of medium, and a bit of hard.
Checkering - Did a lot on cartridge-type firearms, pistols and rifles.  But all VEE-type, not flat-topped.  We will have to trade techniques some time.  I have used both thin aluminum and plastic for keeping that first line straight.  Just a thin strip of either, about 1/4" wide.  Generally I cut up plastic dividers as used in 3-ring binders.  Makes great patterns also.  When you are laying out your checkering pattern, the clear lets you see the grain where you will be cutting.  I've made a couple patterns for the Lehigh, tang and forestock.  easy to take small pieces of tape to stick them on and draw around the outline.
At any rate, the firearm that you are working on is simply beautiful!  Hope the checkering goes OK.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2018, 03:43:23 AM »
Forgot - I use a checkering cradle, but had to make an extension when I started working on longrifles - the cradle was built for modern rifles.  For pistol grips, I just use a bit of contact cement to stick them on anything flat.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »
Thanks Ed! 

Also thanks to Ed, Taylor and Craig for the checkering info - I hope to get to the checkering shortly after Christmas.  I've been busy with family activities, engraving and some gold inlay work in the form of barrel bands and touch holes.  All the checkering advice will be most helpful when I attempt to tackle that beast!

Craig, If I need some silver solder in the future I'll give you a holler!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »
Some pretty fine work, Curtis!  Looks real nice!  I like the engraving.

Jim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
Some pretty fine work, Curtis!  Looks real nice!  I like the engraving.

Jim

Thanks Jim!  I wouldn't be engraving much of anything if I handn't taken your engraving class at the NMLRA Seminar a few years back.  You taught us a lot in those few days.  Most importantly how to sharpen a graver!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson