Author Topic: A few Bag and Horn questions ?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Nessmuck

A few Bag and Horn questions ?
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »
So I’ve been shooting flinters for over 30 years and got my first Smoothy 3 years ago....I Nevah had a bag or a powder horn to look “the part”. But now I feel the need ! So I shoot right handed and Iam right handed...so I also see there are right and left carry horns. So do most folks (right handed ) carry the bag on the right hip and powder horn on the left side ? Thanks !

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: A few Bag and Horn questions ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »
I carry both on my right side.
In His grip,

Dane

Iktomi

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:41:35 AM »
Right handed, carry horn on right and bag on left.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:44:45 AM »
I'm a righty and carry bag on right and horn on left. It just seems handier for me.

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
I shoot right handed with the bag on the right and horn on the left. Bring the horn up with the left hand and hold powder measure with the right while filling.
That's the way I do it.
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
I shoot lefthanded and carry my bag on the left side. I carry my horn on the right side, it's handier for me and it's further away from the touchhole.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
Both on the right for me.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Right-handed, right side for both.

BTW, it appears that the "right side, left side" designation for horns is a modern thing, at least as regards to the twist. Judging from the wear patterns, our forefathers either just used what they had or perhaps even preferred a "left side" twist on the right side. Something to bear in mind of you are making your own horn.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:24:44 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
I have, and use, both right and left side rigs. I prefer both bag and horn on the same side, and since I shoot off the right shoulder prefer my bag and horn on the left. That way seems much quieter, since I usually carry my rifle in my right hand...it’s not clunking against the rest of my gear. But hey, at the end of the day no one is trying to take my scalp, so just do whatever makes sense to YOU.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:29 AM »
Whether right or left,  I've found the hip to be about the worst spot to have a bag or horn. I prefer them much higher, so they don't bounce and swing around as much.  This is really apparent when you're bending over to pick something up or walking through heavy brush. 

Offline Dave R

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 05:50:59 AM »
I shoot right handed and wear my bag with horn attached on my right side, I once carried both on my left side however it seemed many of times with them on the left side just about the time I would squeeze a round off my bag on the left side strap would shift on my right shoulder and throw my sight way off the aiming point. :-)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »
With my bags I don't have much choice since the horn is attached to the bag straps.  Being right handed it just feels natural to tote it on the right; and I like it up high enough so my arm is held against the bag.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 05:20:08 AM »
I am right handed, left eye dominant, and shoot left handed. I carry horn and pouch on my right side.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:37:42 AM »
Do what makes you happy...

It's one thing if your routine demands "period correct" utilization. But for day-to-day real world use, practicality reigns supreme.

If it's uncomfortable you won't carry it.

If it's annoying/inconvenient you won't carry it... Or worse you WILL carry it and be so annoyed the entire time that it detracts from what should be an overall enjoyable experience.

Did you ever get out and go after that turkey?

Hold on... Let me translate that into your trademark New Hampshirese...

"Did you evah get out and go aftah that gobblah?" :)

Mike

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
I am right handed, but for some reason I have always shot rifle left handed although  I can and some times shoot right handed. the bag is always on the right side.
All gave some Some gave all

Vomitus

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
What Nate said. Pouring powder into my measure in my right hand works good for me. So left horn, right side bag. Feels like it evens up the weight.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »
Do what makes you happy...

It's one thing if your routine demands "period correct" utilization. But for day-to-day real world use, practicality reigns supreme.

If it's uncomfortable you won't carry it.

If it's annoying/inconvenient you won't carry it... Or worse you WILL carry it and be so annoyed the entire time that it detracts from what should be an overall enjoyable experience.

Did you ever get out and go after that turkey?

Hold on... Let me translate that into your trademark New Hampshirese...

"Did you evah get out and go aftah that gobblah?" :)

Mike

Hi Mike....a lot going on in May....too much. Haven’t even got to the range to pattern my shot. Looks like next year for my bucket Gobblah !!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
Understood Nessy... My plate is a little full too. I keep swearing that I'm going to get out and take Ol' Painless out for squirrels.

Haven't made it yet. Lol

Mike

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
Way back then, riflemen and smoothbore aficionados didn't even know what period correct was, much less worry about it; the military maybe but not civilians.  They made their choices based on what worked for them just like we do today.  That's why excessive emphasis on  P/C can be so irritating and even sometimes foolish to us moderns.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

sespe

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 04:06:45 AM »
I am right handed, left eye dominant, and shoot left handed. I carry horn and pouch on my right side.

Hi mirror brother.  I'm left handed, right-eye dominant, and shoot right handed.  You guessed it, horn and pouch are on my left side.

Vomitus

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 11:02:30 PM »
         Try it. Find what works for you. Bag right, horn left makes me happy, but not for everyone. Pouring black into measure in my right hand, then down the pipe works for me. My measure is tied to my right side bag. It takes a little fiddling, but you'll find what makes YOU  happy. Nothing with this is etched in stone.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
I've been shooting BP since I was 14, lol, these many years ago. I'm right handed and I've tried both ways, horn on left, bag on right, and both on right side. More comfortable for me to have both on right. The horn is also strapped to the bag so I can grab the bag strap and have both. Also easier to take off if you want to remove outerwear. Find what's comfortable for you.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
I am right handed, and carry both on the right side.  I manipulate the horn with my right hand, and powder measure with my left.  Having both on the right side also means no strap on my right shoulder, where I place the rifle stock when I shoot.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
I've been shooting BP since I was 14, lol, these many years ago. I'm right handed and I've tried both ways, horn on left, bag on right, and both on right side. More comfortable for me to have both on right. The horn is also strapped to the bag so I can grab the bag strap and have both. Also easier to take off if you want to remove outerwear. Find what's comfortable for you.

👍. Thanks, Rick, for saving me all that typing on a phone.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 04:53:51 AM »
Thanks for all the input !