Author Topic: Black Powder in Louisville  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Cory McArtor

Black Powder in Louisville
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
Hey all, I'm fairly new to black powder shooting (traded for my first flintlock from a member here last fall) and am looking for a source of powder in or around Louisville, KY. I don't shoot enough for it to be worth ordering in bulk, as I probably only need a couple of pounds.

Do any of you know of stores that sell it, or clubs near here where I could get in on a group order?  Thanks for the help!

Offline Terry Reynolds

Re: Black Powder in Louisville
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:39:56 AM »
Cory, I was in the same boat a few months ago. I live south of Louisville. You can find powder at Biff's Gun World off Dixie Hwy, only place I know that carry it in a 50 mile radius. They only carry Graf & Son, no Goex. A pound of 3F was about $33. >:(

As far as clubs, I got nuffin! 
aka “digger658”

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 03:41:09 AM »
Friendship in June.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Iktomi

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 03:53:02 AM »
 You can order direct from Graf. Even with hazmat and shipping it's cheeper than 33/lb. You don't need to buy a case either, there is a flat hazmat fee, 10 bucks/order and a flat shipping fee. You can buy 4-5 cans and still make out pretty good :)

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Offline little joe

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:45 AM »
Deer Creek in Waldron In. a little south  of Shelbyville in.

Offline Cory McArtor

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far. Are prices decent at Friendship? If so I might drive up and check it out. I also found a place about half an hour away with Swiss powder. I haven't used it before. Would it be about the same as GOEX or would I need to use a different amount?

Iktomi

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far. Are prices decent at Friendship? If so I might drive up and check it out. I also found a place about half an hour away with Swiss powder. I haven't used it before. Would it be about the same as GOEX or would I need to use a different amount?

Swiss is a tad hotter than Goex or Graf, might want to drop your charge a bit and work up a load.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
I read somewhere that you use 10% less Swiss.

So, 100 grains of other powder is the same as about 90 grains of Swiss.

I've been using Swiss the past year or so, and I use 90 grains of it in my .54 for my hunting load for deer.

It works well.

Offline p.d.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
Cory, the Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown is my go to place.  It is right off the Bluegrass Parkway.  They suggest you call ahead a day or so as they store offsite.  I cannot quote prices but they beat Friendship by a bit.  I have bought Schuetzen, Swiss, Olde Eynsford and Goex there.

Offline HoosierMike

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:41 AM »
Not sure if they still carry it, but Bass Pro in New Albany carried Goex about nine months ago.  Don't remember the price.

maypo59

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:02:20 PM »
Cory, the Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown is my go to place.  It is right off the Bluegrass Parkway.  They suggest you call ahead a day or so as they store offsite.  I cannot quote prices but they beat Friendship by a bit.  I have bought Schuetzen, Swiss, Olde Eynsford and Goex there.

Agreed, probably the best place, selection, and price.

Offline trailerpark

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 04:03:21 AM »
I believe you have to be a registered shooter to purchase powder at Friendship.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:04:37 AM »
I believe you have to be a registered shooter to purchase powder at Friendship.

Unless it has changed since last fall, you just have to be an NMLRA member to buy powder.  Oh, and show a photo ID.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie