Author Topic: Anyone remember this fine gentleman?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline diamante

Anyone remember this fine gentleman?
« on: May 21, 2018, 02:51:15 AM »
I came across this photo I took at Friendship back in 1998. He’s the reason I have such a keen interest in southern mountain rifles to this day. The late Myron Carlson my friend. https://ibb.co/jJ6XQo

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Anyone remember this fine gentleman?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »
I sure do remember him, was over at his shop several times. Spent many an hour at F-ship chatting Myron up, learned all sorts of things from him.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:22:17 AM »
How nice to see his picture. Myron  was a true gentleman and superb craftsman.  He was always a joy to talk with.  Thank you for posting it.
JIM

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
I agree with Mike.  Myron was a super nice guy to work with.  I miss being able to visit him at Friendship. 
                                                                      Roger Sells

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the great photo of Myron.  He was best man for Bev and I when we got married 25 years ago in April.  Great friend as well as great craftsman.  I still have one full set of each of his hardware, and one of his rifles  Probably never use them, but they have lots of sentimental value.  Would love to have one of his miniature rifles.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Roger,
SO many are now np longer with us. I do remember this man but forgot the name.
Tom Dawson is another I really miss and of course,Bill Large.

Bob Roller

Online scottmc

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:55 PM »
I had a southern mountain rifle built a couple years ago with a set of his parts.  It's his version of a bean trigger guard, butt plate and set triggers.  Neat stuff.  Had to have Brad Emig make new spring for the triggers though.  Original spring way to strong so you couldn't safely leave on half cock without first setting the trigger.  Works nice now.  If i get a chance, I'll take some pjc5ures and post.  Nice to see what he looked like.  Sounds like he was a good chap!
Remember Paoli!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 03:54:49 AM »
Thanks for posting that image. Myron was a good
friend of mine too.
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline FGW

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:12:42 PM »
I met Myron when I was thirteen, in 1971.  He helped us get our muzzle loading club, the Dad Joe Smith Club, started.  The next year he made me a fullstock .54 Hawken that has been my meat gun for all these years. I am lucky to have two more of his guns, one a copy of what Gemmer would have done with a Remington Rolling Block.  He was such a kind and wise man.  Thanks for the great picture.  It brings back a flood of fond memories.