Author Topic: Double rifle  (Read 1902 times)

Offline mark brier

Double rifle
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:25:25 AM »
Gentleman, I wanted to share pictures of barrel turning and more importantly a fix for people that do not have a taper attachment for their lathe. Turning a taper by offsetting the tail stock will not allow one to use the follower rest. I was having a problem with vibration and chatter in the middle six inches of the barrel. A solution I came up with that works great was to drill and tap the follower rest fingers and using shoulder bolts that fit the inner race of some small bearings I installed the bearings on the finders and put springs behind the fingers to allow them to push inwards while going up the taper of the barrel. Works great.
Mark Brier

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:11:10 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Double rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »
 That is a pretty good looking setup. I have another method for very thin barrels. Doesn't this setup effect the depth of your cut? Just asking. Vibration is a big factor in turning barrels especially thin ones.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline mark brier

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:40:25 AM »
I did not have that problem. The springs are not that strong, just enough pressure to make the bearings turn. But enough contact to get rid of vibration.
Mark Brier

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:41:48 AM »
Jerry,
If you are willing to share your trick method of turning a thin barrel such that chatter is minimized, I for one would be most grateful to learn. I suspect others have their ear turned your way as well. Thanks!

Offline Goo

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
Would you post the supplier and part numbers for the bearings?   it looks like the adjusting screws are touching the fingers,  I was thinking to try this with some heavier springs between the adjusting screws and bearing fingers.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
A friend who makes barrels uses a follow rest with pneumatic fingers.  Maintains damping pressure, but adjusts automatically for changing barrel diameter.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
 I fill the barrels with cerrosafe and then it is like turning a solid bar but there is still some vibration problem. any long thin bar presents a problem.  I will probably never do anymore barrels but if I did I would make a follower rest like the one shown in this post. I have seen other similar setups before without the rollers. Notice the very fine turnings in Mark's last photo.  No matter what you do the cut must be a very fine cut.  Mark knows what he's doing that's for sure.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
I use the steady rest in the middle of the barrel.  For really long barrels it might need to be moved. It is a pain to have to move the steady for saddle travel but it works,  I don't have a follower anyway.   I had thought of making a dampened articulated follower but never got around to it.   I've never used my taper attachment for this.  Always between offset centers with a lathe dog.     

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
That is so great!  Really appreciate you sharing.

I had a "gunsmith" vice for quite a while.  It turned replacement screws for almost anything, but got rid of it after trying to taper a few barrels.

Again- really appreciate you bring your idea to us.  Good luck on that double!

Craigo
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Brinch

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
Great Work! It looks very frightening! ;)