Author Topic: Fort Shoot!!  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Denny Ducet

Fort Shoot!!
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »
This is a simulated Fort shoot during the Merical Rendezvous of 2018.  The shooters are Dave, Sean, Mike and Alan.  The premise of the shoot is to knock down the 10 or so Brown Bison before the White one.  Shooting the white Bison, before all the Brown ones are down results in a penalty of time. After the bison are down there are hostiles clutching hostages.  Shooters are to engage the hostiles and not hit the hostages.  Hitting hostages is also a penalty.  After all hostiles are taken down, the final target is a Chief in the distance.  Distances extend to nearly 70 yards for the furthest target.  Targets are no bigger than 8 inches.  Relax..... this is just for fun.

Offline stubshaft

Re: Fort Shoot!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
Looks like a fun time. 
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
Fort shoots are fun. MUST listen to instructions on who's enemy and especially who isn't.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
I see that one guy is still blowing down the barrel.  I noticed him doing that in other videos you have posted.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
We do lots of things to unloaded guns that we wouldn't do to loaded ones. It is a good looking shoot. Wish I could be there.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »
No reason not to blow on it it was not loaded. We would not put powder in a loaded gun but we do in an empty one. I have been blowing down empty barrels for over 40 years with no ill effects. Don't blow down yours if you don't want to .

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
 I have several safety issues with the footage of this event. For starters the shooters are crowded into a very small area for shooting flintlocks, making the possibility of setting off someone’s powder horn, or priming horn, very real. The aforementioned blowing down the barreled is a no brainer. And one shooter keeps leaving his priming horn on a ledge on the back of the wall, at just about touch hole height.
 Don’t get me wrong, I love this type of event, and have engineered several over the years. IMO, they are much more enjoyable than plain old target shooting, for shooters, and spectators, alike. But, they present safety issues that must be considered to keep things safe.

Hungry Horse

Offline Denny Ducet

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
It's great to see the youth involved.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
Mike Nesbit?
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:35:51 AM »
The slow talker with the two flicker feathers in his fur cap is not the Mike Nesbit I know.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:24:19 AM »
We also have Fort Shoots at Rendezvous B.C., held annually at Hefley Creek range.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline heelerau

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
@!*%, that all looks like a big old bunch of fun. The lad seemed to have the odd misfire with his cap lock, mainspring a bit light? Seemed a pretty good rate of  sustained fire to.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
 The most common reason for percussion guns to consistently misfire like this, isn’t a weak spring. It usually is a deformed nipple that doesn’t allow the cap to completely seat on the nipple. The fact that this gun always fires on the second shot, indicates the first hammer fall is required to drive the cap down on the nipple, so the second hammer fall can set it off.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
That's one of the easiest fixes in muzzle loading rifles...a little file work and the cap seats perfectly.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Spentprimer

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
Why is it that when I watch the video I see .50 caliber paint balls exiting the barrels?

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
A new nipple is a cheap fix also.
It makes me a little nervous seeing all those shooters rushing around, shooting flintlocks in close quarters and seeing guys  turn their heads from the vent blast. For safety's sake I'd like to see a little larger fort.
And those guys shooting with no eye protection?
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 02:24:30 AM »
My point of view axactly. The youth were paying more attention to safety than the adults. And this was a YouTube video, so every newbie that got his muzzleloader yesterday, will look at it, and think it’s all perfectly safe. This is not an if something bad happens situation, it a when, in my opinion. Sorry, Safety first.

Hungry Horse

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 11:21:08 PM »
As arrows,lead where flying into the ramparts,"yo! your to close to me you might set off my powder horn" Just funnin :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:23:51 PM by Joe S. »

Offline RVAH-7

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »
I built my .54. I know how it functions. I can't figure out how to make it a repeating rifle. When I fire and a balloon pops, an apple disintegrates, a charcoal briquette suspended on a string momentarily turns to a dark puff of dust, the clay pigeon (s) shatters or a mule deer buck suddenly collapses and kicks twice, I am quite certain MY rifle is empty. And yes, I usually blow down the barrel as was expected 40 years ago. Incidentally, occasionally, as I blow the residual smoke out the touch hole I will suddenly feel a stoppage as a tiny crumb or particle blocks the vent and I can clear that with my pick.  I am not "politically correct".  I know I would be banned at Friendship and many other events. I know what safety is but I also cherish my independence, my liberty, and my freedom.
Nearly all outdoor activities come with an inherent risk of some type and to some degree. If you critics look closely at their wooden fort there are even sooty reminders on the wall at two port holes. I'll bet those men knew what they were getting into and chose to do so.  Every time you meet a vehicle on a two-way street or road you are within 6 or 7 feet of a head-on collision. But you drive anyway? And who sharpens your knife for you?

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
There is nothing dangerous about blowing down an empty barrel.  One is never more certain that it is empty than when he has just fired it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »
Well, I’ve was in a timed group shoot event where a competitor thought his gun was firing in the din of gunfire, but as it turned out he stopped his frantic loading when he realized the load wasn’t seating. The gun had three complete charges in it.
 I also was at a Rendezvous on a drizzly day, where a shooters hat allowed a drop or two of water to drop into the barrel midway through his loading. The gun fired, but the bullet never exited the barrel unbeknownst to him.
The shooter was puzzled and looked down the barrel. The remaining powder, and ball, above the wet spot ignited, and shot him in the eye with a fifty four caliber ball. He was incredibly lucky he wasn’t killed.
 So don’t tell me you always have a handle on situations like this. If it were’nt for accidents like this there would’nt be rules restricting such behavior. And, just for your information these guys were’nt pilgrims in either.

Hungry Horse

Offline rollingb

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
During a shoot, a guy holler at me for blowing down the barrel of my rifle after I had taken a shot.
I told him I'd make a bet with him that IF he could make it fire again, without "RE-loading" it first, the rifle was his to KEEP,.... BUT if he FAILED to make my gun fire AGAIN he had to give me HIS rifle to keep.  ::)

I guess,.... even HE doubted he could perform such a miraculous and wondrous feat, because that put a quick end to our little conversation.  :)

Some folks just can't seem to resist being "their brother's keeper",.... while other folks merrily go through life minding their own business,... as long as,... their "business" doesn't create an immediate threat to someone else's well-being.  :)

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Unfortunately if one know it all accidentally shoots himself, or someone else, he’s not the only one that pays the price. This kind of behavior is detrimental to the entire shooting community, and shouldn’t be tolerated by any club, or group.

Hungry Horse

Offline rollingb

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
Well, I’ve was in a timed group shoot event where a competitor thought his gun was firing in the din of gunfire, but as it turned out he stopped his frantic loading when he realized the load wasn’t seating. The gun had three complete charges in it.

I also was at a Rendezvous on a drizzly day, where a shooters hat allowed a drop or two of water to drop into the barrel midway through his loading. The gun fired, but the bullet never exited the barrel unbeknownst to him.
The shooter was puzzled and looked down the barrel. The remaining powder, and ball, above the wet spot ignited, and shot him in the eye with a fifty four caliber ball. He was incredibly lucky he wasn’t killed.
 So don’t tell me you always have a handle on situations like this. If it were’nt for accidents like this there would’nt be rules restricting such behavior. And, just for your information these guys were’nt pilgrims in either.

Hungry Horse
First story sounds like it involved a very inexperienced shooter,.... or,... was a long time shooter who was too dumb to notice his ramrod was QUICKLY "growing".  ::)

And after reading the next story, my 2 questions are,.... if the gun actually fired (at all), why was this experienced shooter puzzled enough to look down the bore if he thought the ball had already left the barrel?
What do you think the experienced shooter was expecting to see, by looking down the bore of a fouled barrel?  ::)

Heck, I can't see anythin' looking down the bore of a "CLEAN" bore,.... so once again, it sounds like that particular shooter lacked actual experience shooting muzzleloaders.  ::)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"