Author Topic: W. Young double rifle  (Read 2743 times)

Offline sqrldog

W. Young double rifle
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:46:14 PM »
Since I am in the process of learning how to post pictures I thought I would share some pictures of a double rifle made for me by my frien William Young from Wahkon MN. Yes he the same guy that made chemicals for  staining and finishing muzzleloading rifles.  This is the best hunting rifle I will ever own. Even though it is in semi-retirement, now that I hunt with flint guns, it would be my go to rifle if I had to use a rifle for survival. It is a .54/.54. A great rifle by an even better friend.  Tim

Offline Ray Nelson

Re: W. Young double rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Thanks for showing Tim!

These stack barrel guns he made were the top of the line!!! Had one too but I made the mistake of parting ways with it. Will I ever learn?

Ray

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:16:47 AM »
You wouldn’t be hunting muzzleloader seasons in several western states with a gun with two shot capabilities. You could hunt the cartridge season but not the muzzleloading season.

Hungry Horse

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
Cool gun Tim ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
You wouldn’t be hunting muzzleloader seasons in several western states with a gun with two shot capabilities. You could hunt the cartridge season but not the muzzleloading season.

Hungry Horse
I'll bet I could...born to break dumb rules.

I have played with this gun in person, it's quite a piece of craftsman ship.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
It certainly is impressive.  Also, as has been mentioned, it would be illegal in all the states I've hunted in.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
Fortunately it is legal in all the states I've used this rifle. Thanks for all the kind comments about the rifle. It is hunters rifle. I've carried it many miles and killed a number of whitetail deer and feral hogs with the rifle. It is based on the late period double rifles by makers like Soloman Harriger. There are similar rifles from New England. Sometime made with rifled barrel over a smoothbore.

Offline snapper

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 04:12:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing this with us.    William is a friend of mine and I have marveled at his work. 

Ted on this list gets to try and corral him a few times of the year

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »
Fine looking O/U muzzle loader.The last time I had any info there is a prohibition on using a double barreled rifle
to hunt with during our ML season here in West Virginia.

Bob Roller

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:49:29 AM »
Very nice rifle. Glad you posted those pictures Tim.  All of Willie's work is first rate. I'm very thankful I live so close to him and that he's so willing to share his knowledge and experience.

Ted

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »
That is a very nice hunting rifle! :D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:42:17 AM »
Don't think you ever showed that one to me. Neat rifle and with two ram rods you have a spare if you break one while in the field. Is the bottom barrel regulated for a certain distance? I know side by sides are but don't know how they did over and unders.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
Probably didn't  get around to showing it to you. When you come down again I let you play with it. Barrels are regulated  bottom barrel is slightly low and left at 100 yrds not enough to matter. A good bit of fiddling with the barrels while the gun was assembled  but in the rough. Barrel were soldered and unsoldered with thin shims added and then resoldered until regulation was  close enough for a quick second shot. The regulation process may be the reason William  only made four of these double guns