Author Topic: I have a rifle circa 1840 that I'd like to learn more about  (Read 1798 times)

lovin336guy

Hello;
I found you folks through google and I'm hoping I can get more information about a rifle that's been in my family a very long time. Just a few specifics first: hexagonal barrel, just over an inch between flats, probably about .38 caliber, the lock says "Atkinson warrented", which are the only words I can find anywhere on the gun, the barrel length is about 31 inches and the overall length about 48". The lock seems in very good condition with no discernabe rust. The gun also has a graceful brass trigger guard wich I removed to have a look at the innards. Both triggers seems to operate on springs but I've not figured out how to get the set trigger and the trigger that trips the hammer to work together, I've included a few pictures and will take more if requested.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:52:40 AM by lovin336guy »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: I have a rifle circa 1840 that I'd like to learn more about
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:10:13 AM »
Look for initials on the top of the barrel between the breach and rear sight. Could be very worn
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
I claim no expertise in this kind of half-stock "plains" rifles but I believe Atkinson was a notable English lock maker.  This was very common - gun makers and stockers often just bought stock hardware and assembled guns; perhaps catalog in-hand while the customer picked out his preferred designs.  You'll no doubt get far more informed input from other members of this forum over time but I think this rifle dates to the 1850s - although perhaps as early as the mid-late 1840s.  It's clearly an outstanding piece of wood and I have attached a photo of a very similar example with the kind of trigger guard this rifle may have had. 

lovin336guy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:20:54 AM »
120RIR
yes they are very similar. Mine has a somewhat deeper cutout at the stock. You are correct about the general shape of the triggerguard as well. Do you know the name of the gunsmith who build your rifle? I can't find any lettering at all on the barrel of mine.
Mark

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:10 AM »
Sorry...I stole that picture off the interwebs.  I'm afraid I'm not the owner. Good luck on finding info!  I'm sure others will weigh on this over time.