Author Topic: Cleaning the TVM flintlock muzzleloader with the bolt on flint flush kit  (Read 5807 times)

jrubin

After returning from the Central Florida Muzzleloaders meeting i'd inspected the accumulation of residue and discuss cleaning options as well as what had happened that day out on the field.  after attempting to use another method previously, Ive opted to try the Flint Flush kit  by Primitive Hunters to see how well it works.  Following this the general cleaning of the unit.

This outing saw the first flint replacement as well as the first on field clog which was well managed, its easy to see how clogs can start once you can get a good look upon lock removal.

Furthermore a piece has come off of the from that was only glued on, I will need to call TVM and see what is going on and how that should be dealt with.

Offline smokinbuck

I just watched your cleaning video and a few things came to mind; 1st, the nose cap certainly should have been glued and/or pinned into place. That appears to be a mistake on the part of the builder. 2nd, my experience with those clamp on flushing tools is that they leak and make a mess. 3rd, in light of my 2nd remark, you are braver than I would be by cleaning your rifle over what appears to be a carpeted floor.
Mark
Mark

n stephenson

That is the very reason, that I bed\ glue the MC on but, also put a rivet through it too. Nate

Offline Frank

Cotton cleaning patch and a jag has served me well for over forty years.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Jrubin, thanks for your post. Glad you’re here and pumped up about longrifles!

Others: repeat after me: “Welcome, Pilgrim!  Looks like that should be a real nice shooting rifle!  Keep her clean and she won’t let you down!  I do my cleaning differently but clean is clean!  Here’s what works for me, if we are going to discuss cleaning methods:
Blah blah blah........”
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Steele

Absolutely... like Rich said:
Welcome Pilgrim. We’re glad you came in and shared your experience.
There’s a lot to be learned here. Pull up a stump and go to reading along on a regular basis.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
I use one of those systems from track regularly.  They work nice if you follow a few steps to avoid a mess.  1)  Epoxy a small square of leather onto the opposite side of the clamp so the brass doesn't hack up your barrel or stock.  That being said, I filed mine larger to accept larger caliber guns.  2) I always lay the gun(home made gun vise) horizontal and upside down(barrel facing down) with the butt higher than the muzzle.  That way if I get any leakage(usually from not having it lined up correctly), it doesn't get near the wood or stock finish, both at the touch hole and the muzzle.  Then pump away.  Follow up with some dry patches, denatured alcohol and BreakFree.  As far as your muzzle cap, IMO-that needs to be riveted on. 

Offline taco650

I just watched your cleaning video and a few things came to mind; 1st, the nose cap certainly should have been glued and/or pinned into place. That appears to be a mistake on the part of the builder. 2nd, my experience with those clamp on flushing tools is that they leak and make a mess. 3rd, in light of my 2nd remark, you are braver than I would be by cleaning your rifle over what appears to be a carpeted floor.
Mark

I think the floor is actually textured concrete...

Thanks for sharing your experience with that cleaning device.  I don't like getting cleaning fluids of any kind all over the rifle when cleaning so I'm going to check into this device.

Stuart

Offline smokinbuck

Rich & Don,
Mr. Rubin is not a Pilgrim, he has posted a few other flintlock 101" u tube videos in the past. Just saying.
Mark
Mark

Offline Darkhorse

I tried one of those things and when it worked, it worked great. But most of the time water would shoot out from under the O ring and leave me with dirty water everywhere. I worked with it quite a while but it never got any better. It was just a bad, inconsistent solution to a non existent problem and once I reached that realization I dumped it.
There are better ways to clean a longrifle without a hooked breach and an inexperienced shooter should be able to learn them for themselves with a little help from the net or mentor.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dave R

Darkhorse,

Remove that little oring and replace it with a faucet washer it seals much better than a oring!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Check out Dave Crisalli's adaption using rare earth magnets.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45793.msg450063#msg450063
Hope I did that right.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline bob in the woods

Water, worm and tow works for me.  I got the idea from 1700's writings . 8)