Author Topic: Removing old dried horn cores  (Read 1733 times)

Offline far55

Removing old dried horn cores
« on: June 02, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »
I have 2 cow horns that were laying around for 12 or 15 years with the cores still in them. Any hints on removing them at this point ? I have soaked them in plain water for a week or so and it did not seem to make a difference. Thanks, Roland

Offline J Henry

Re: Removing old dried horn cores
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »
  I take a piece of wood and just tap the horn all over ,no water soak.that breaks the core loose and it falls out.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
I use the same basic principle but strike it with a rawhide or non marring hammer.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
I've never had to deal with that problem, but one suggestion I've read for dealing with horn cores is to install an old wood screw in the core at the base and use that as a handle for pulling the core out.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
soaking them after they are that dry will swell them and keep em stuck I would think.  K
Galations 2:20

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:59 AM »
I left a couple of fresh horns in my shop one time, and then after a couple of weeks I couldn't figure out where the smell  was coming from.  Finally found them and threw them out in the yard.  A couple of days later I found the horns with the cores neatly removed and eaten by my two dogs.  That was my last horn experience.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
I have 2 cow horns that were laying around for 12 or 15 years with the cores still in them. Any hints on removing them at this point ? I have soaked them in plain water for a week or so and it did not seem to make a difference. Thanks, Roland

When was doing horn work I boiled the cores out of the horns.  But then they were fresh from the butcher shop.  The horn is held to the bone core by a heavy gelatin layer.  By boiling the gelatin would release from the inner surface of the horn but stay on the bone core.

And speaking of dogs and horns.  I had to keep our old coon hound out of the yard when I cooked out horn cores.  The dog loved that gelatin layer on the bone cores.  Just about pure protein.  Dog flatulence is horrible!

Bill K.

Offline hermdog

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
I have removed the cores from fresh horns and old dried out horns. Both were boiled for about 5 minutes and the cores slipped right out. I was afraid it would be a tough nasty job but both were very easy to remove when boiled.

Offline far55

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »
I appreciate all the suggestions. Its been crazy busy around here this spring and and will post what worked for me when I can get back to them. Thank you, Roland

Offline far55

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »
Well, they are out. I used a 6" long x 1/2" lag bolt screwed into the center cavity and clamped in a vise. They were in a covered container and stayed damp from previous soaking in water. A little tug and they came right out. Thanks to all for your suggestions, Roland