Author Topic: shipping a stock and barrel  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
shipping a stock and barrel
« on: June 04, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »
What service have you guys found to be the best deal for shipping a stock and barrel in a wooden crate? UPS the postal service, or FedEx?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline EC121

Re: shipping a stock and barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:44:15 AM »
Any of them can break stuff.  Because the PO is closest to my house, all of what I ship is by USPS Priority.  However, they use UPS to carry between POs.  I have been lucky and never had anything broken.  Maybe the US Mail stickers make them more careful.
Brice Stultz

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:13:00 AM »
USPS. I’ve had good results. Generally around 2-3 days from my post office to the package destination. You need to package your stock and barrel yourself. It’s typically $40.00 or so plus insurance. The tracking number is handy too. I have had no problems with any shipments whether they be in a cardboard crate or wood.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
USPS - I have had problems with UPS just dropping off packages at my front door when no one was home or giving it to the neighbors.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
USPS.

UPS up here stands for "Useless parcel service"
They don't deliver to rural areas, and if you are not on your toes, they will send the item back, "from whence it came".

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
Shipping anything by UPS, you would be better to leave your package leaning against telephone pole and hope it would get to the destination, unharmed or even get there at all.
UPS, No Way, No how!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline KC

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »
I hate to pile on, but nobody will carry and deliver your package like you would if you did it yourself. Many people just don't care. My sister made some stained glass panes for me, each about 20" square. She got a wooden crate built to ship them in and it was about 30" square and kind of flat. I happened to get out of my car just as the UPS man was unloading the box. It came rolling out the side door like a square wagon wheel and dropped on it's side in the parking lot. He must not have seen the "FRAGILE" stickers all over the box. Needless to say, there was damage. Standard operating procedure.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
There has been discussion on the forum in the past about what UPS will or will not ship.  Locally, the UPS people will not ship any guns or gun parts (including ML guns and parts) regardless of what their company policy may or may not be.  That policy differs according to what UPS person you speak to.  I've had them turn down shipping a ML pistol barrel in the past.  Your experiences may differ with other UPS locations/offices.  I just go to the USPS and ship things priority mail.  No hassle and cheaper.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
There has been discussion on the forum in the past about what UPS will or will not ship.  Locally, the UPS people will not ship any guns or gun parts (including ML guns and parts) regardless of what their company policy may or may not be.  That policy differs according to what UPS person you speak to.  I've had them turn down shipping a ML pistol barrel in the past.  Your experiences may differ with other UPS locations/offices.  I just go to the USPS and ship things priority mail.  No hassle and cheaper.

Mole Eyes
Same problem with my local UPS here. They told me they wouldn't even  ship a squirt gun. So I copied off their own rules and presented them and they told me to go pee up a rope. Last time I was ever there. This was a main hub too. If they don't want my 3-4000 dollars a year i'll give it to the PO.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like I will be going with the USPS.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
ML pistol barrel in the past.
Should be no problems with a ML barrel shipping USPS BUT I would caution you about mailing a ML pistol. I have read/re-read and then read again the USPS rules on shipping any kind of antique pistol by USPS and even though it is 100% legal by all laws I can not confirm that USPS will allow shipment of an antique or replica ML pistol. The thing I would be most concerned about is being able to settle an insurance claim in case it was lost/stolen or damaged in transit.

Let's don't get into a discussion about the laws here, just want to caution you to look into it BEFORE you ship an antique ML pistol via USPS. If you wish to discuss it with me send me a PM.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

eddillon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
ML pistol barrel in the past.
Should be no problems with a ML barrel shipping USPS BUT I would caution you about mailing a ML pistol. I have read/re-read and then read again the USPS rules on shipping any kind of antique pistol by USPS and even though it is 100% legal by all laws I can not confirm that USPS will allow shipment of an antique or replica ML pistol. The thing I would be most concerned about is being able to settle an insurance claim in case it was lost/stolen or damaged in transit.

Let's don't get into a discussion about the laws here, just want to caution you to look into it BEFORE you ship an antique ML pistol via USPS. If you wish to discuss it with me send me a PM.
Dennis

I have received many flint and percussion antique pistols from a well known onine antique gun auction site  His preferred method is USPS Priority Mail.  Never a problem. 

Offline elk killer

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 02:55:19 AM »
Post Master here is always curious about what I ship,
She always wants pics, only to see what she missed out on..
Her words not mine, never had issue one,

UPS always treated me like I'm a terrorist , even did like Mike
Showed them their own policy and got a I DON'T  CARE
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 04:12:58 AM »
I send all by USPS priority I have been known to mark my rifle boxes "garden tools" or "soap tools" if I use a NY post office. My local PA post office knows I ship and recieve all kinds of weapons several times a month, NY is some kind of special.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Iktomi

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 04:17:40 AM »
Shipping anything by UPS, you would be better to leave your package leaning against telephone pole and hope it would get to the destination, unharmed or even get there at all.
UPS, No Way, No how!
Fred

UPS = United Package Smashers. I have a cousin who is senior management with UPS, and his advice to me is use USPS. I'm not kidding. I've shipped hundreds of packages of bows, arrows, and related archery tackle via USPS without a single issue. Early on I used UPS a few times, and had about a 50% success rate, and a major headache trying to get them to pay an insurance claim.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:49 AM »
I've used UPS for 20+ years and never had a damage issue.  I have always used wooden crates, however, and they don't last long.

The only time I've ever had to put in for a damage claim was with USPS, which bent a barrel and broke the forend. 

I have no idea why my experiences have been completely different than (apparently) everyone else!

Other than the single damage claim, I've had good luck with USPS also, but they're typically more expensive than UPS.  Never used FedEx.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline flehto

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
When I decided to sell my builds {LRs} and first shipped w/ UPS and found out that the long length was expensive to ship. W/ one LR the addtl charge of $32  for 1" over  regular shipping came while the LR was in transit.

Went to FedEx and they refused to ship any "gun" and wouldn't even listen to me that they were legal to ship.

Then  went to USPS w/ the long crate and the clerk asked me what was in it. I told him and he refused to ship.  The Postmaster came out and she backed the clerk and then I told her to call the BATFE which she did and they gave the regs over the phone. She asked for the regs to be faxed and she quikly rec/d them, put them in the reg book and haven't had any problems since. It seems the same clerk ships my MLers under protest and at times has another clerk do everything necessary to ship.

For awhile I thought my builds could only be sold locally......but the USPS came through and have never had  damaged LRs arrive at the customers' doors.

I ship the bbls and stocks separately....the bbls in tubes and the blanks  w/ just a taped on address.......Fred
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:47:32 PM by flehto »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
Hello again,
If I may ad, always, I say always, take several pictures of the rifle in it's crate prior to shipping, make sure the picture is dated, and the time prior to closing the crate.
Today with the inexpensive cameras and the ability to email pictures to the client, and proof of condition, prior to shipping.
It sounds complicated, but it's not.
Also great in case of insurance claim.
Have a great day !
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:38 PM »
Figure out what the vendors who ship to you use....