Author Topic: my finest shot!  (Read 5631 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

my finest shot!
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:12:09 AM »
This is the finest shot I have ever made with a smoothbore. Had my father in-law down for a visit with his brothers, and we were out doing some shooting. I showed them about how to load a flintlock, and then commenced to drill the bullseye off hand from a full 50 yards. Needless to say they were awestruck. I was a little surprised myself. I mean, I'm a great shot usually, but this was fantastic.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:28:12 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline snapper

Re: my finest shot!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
when ever you make a great first shot, resist the urge to take a second.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »

Fleener

Agreed
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
My first ever shot with recurve bow. I was watching my cousin shoot. He had put an arrow in the center of the target. He kept after me to try it. My first shot split his arrow in the nock. It was purely accidental but he was convinced I did it on purpose.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
I once shot a 1/2" group with my .50. I refused to fire a second shot!
Mark
Mark

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »
First liar don't have a chance!!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
believe me I only fired the one shot at paper, then we shot at steel clangers.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:44:47 PM »
Just smile and walk away; that's what I do on a lucky first shot.  It leaves their eyeballs bulging.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
  Years ago we were at a small monthly match, and I bragged to the crowd that I could shoot a ten after four nines (with no idea if I could do it.) on my last shot with my Hill Pearce .50 flinter on the big bull at 50yds.  Several said they would take a dollar's worth of that action.  Then, of course with the pressure on, I had to do it with all watching.  I beared down, shot a 10X and didn't shoot again, but I collected their money.  The fun shots are always memorable.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:49:01 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
I hope you know I was only a joking! That is a fine shot.
One time I purposely missed the entire target and then walked up and stuck my ball starter thru, just to shut up a braggart.
Another time at a big paper shoot I accidentally shot another guys target, who was a big mouth know it all!  It was a five shot target.  Once my Brother and I realized it one of us would purposely put one in his target out of the rings, just for a couple relays.
I think he is still in therapy.
Some guys just can't take a joke.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
I noticed the smaller holes in the target, were you shooting buck and ball?
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
In-laws shooting a gun that cannot be mentioned here.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:26:37 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »
In-laws shooting a gun that cannot be mentioned here.

For the record.  You are a much better shot!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 01:18:56 AM »

Fleener

Golden. 

some little while ago I stepped up to a back yard skeet busting deal.  They handed me a gun. I missed a couple getting my "clock set".  After that I nailed five or seven in a row and handed the gun back said "that's enough of that".  8)  (I never shoot shot)

Hey, good job having witnesses.  That's really the only shots that count for braggin' rights!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:19:27 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:53 AM »
Back in the 60's I built a Numrich arms Minuteman kit 45 cal percussion rifle. Didn't look much like a longrifle but the thing shot as good as any rifle I have ever shot. A friend used to tease me about that old smokepole, I kept telling him you ought to shoot it before you talk bad mouth it. Finally he invited me over one Sunday afternoon to shoot a little. We walked out behind his house and I loaded for him and he shot at empty cans he had brought. He had shot it 6 or 8 times and while I was loading he said, it does shoot pretty good. I said yep, it'll knock the eye out of a bluebird at a 100 yards! He said ok deadeye lets see you kill that blue jay sitting it that apple tree. The tree was 50-60 yards away and blue jay was sitting on one of the limbs. I rammed the ball home threw the rifle up and pulled the trigger, down came the Blue Jay! Not sure who was the most surprised me or the Blue Jay! We went over to look at it and its head had been cut off by the ball and was hanging on by a tiny piece of skin. I didn't shoot anymore, I told him I always knew the rifle would shoot.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 04:05:58 AM »
I think we've all been blessed with one or two really outstanding shots in our time.  Back in the last century, I attended an annual shoot in Chilliwack, BC.  One of the last events was a single shot at a blank sheet of paper offhand at 50 yards.  Closest to the centre wins a rifle!!  With over one hundred shooters, there were three lines.  I fired my shot...looked good, and waited til everyone had shot and the announcement.  Turns out there were two of us that cut the X penciled in on the back of the paper.  So there was a shoot off, with all those other shooters cheering us on.  My competitor was up first, and when he cocked his rifle and started to raise it, it went off, coming no where near the target.  The judges said tough luck and were going to award the rifle to me, but I thought that was unfair, so I handed him my rifle, and told him to make his best shot.  It was my first Hawken rifle in .62 cal, naturally, and he did well.  When I fired my own shot, I again cut the X on the back of the page, and so won a Sharon Hawken rifle in .54 calibre.  The other shooter was very appreciative of the opportunity but it seems that day, I could do no wrong...luckiest two shots of my life.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
Thank God for statistical probability!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
About 20 years ago I was at the range shooting and pulled out my TC New Englander 12 gauge.  I loaded a .690 ball with a patch over 90 grains of 2f and placed the bead on a standard 100 yard black bullseye.  I hit it dead center exactly. I was scared to attempt it again but did and the next shot was very close to the first.  I said to myself that this is against the laws of nature.  Subsequent shots revealed to me no laws of nature were broken.  I couldn't even hit the paper anymore. Both of the first shots were luck.  But at 50 yards I could keep them in the black for sure.

Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Well done, Justin - IT happens.

With Taylor, it happens too bloody often.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
Here is another of my great shots. My wife and I were out on a jaunt in the woods with my .45 Tennessee flintlock in hand for squirrels and such. I was feeling cocky and I told her to pick out  a target and I would hit it. She picked this leaf and pinned it to a tree 40 yards away. I fired at it offhand and the leaf was gone! We looked around for a few minutes and found that I had cut it dead centre.  She was impressed.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 02:25:34 AM »
I'm impressed as well.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 04:33:56 AM »
  Years ago we were at a small monthly match, and I bragged to the crowd that I could shoot a ten after four nines (with no idea if I could do it.) on my last shot with my Hill Pearce .50 flinter on the big bull at 50yds.  Several said they would take a dollar's worth of that action.  Then, of course with the pressure on, I had to do it with all watching.  I beared down, shot a 10X and didn't shoot again, but I collected their money.  The fun shots are always memorable.

Do you still have that Hill Pearce flinter?

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:47 AM »
My finest shot came with my Daisy BB gun at age 12. My next door neighbor liked his beer a little too much ....and dared me to shoot the ash off his lit cigarette ,while clenched in this teeth! I didn’t hesitate one bit.....backed up about 15 feet and let it fly.....you bet ,he had to relight it !

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
Here is another of my great shots. My wife and I were out on a jaunt in the woods with my .45 Tennessee flintlock in hand for squirrels and such. I was feeling cocky and I told her to pick out  a target and I would hit it. She picked this leaf and pinned it to a tree 40 yards away. I fired at it offhand and the leaf was gone! We looked around for a few minutes and found that I had cut it dead centre.  She was impressed.

Trained caterpillar
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »
My finest shot was a 50 yard squirrel hit.  I was trying to remove this varmint from my parent's yard.  That wily little critter out-waited me on the back side of a tree, no matter what trick I tried.  I walked back to the house and my mom called out, "Look at the tree." The squirrel had come around into profile upside down on the side of the trunk.  I was so exasperated, I leaned up against the house, held one squirrel high, and "pop".  Down the squirrel went like a sack of potatoes.  I walked over, picked him up, and he decided to wake up. Yikes!  I kept shaking him to keep him from climbing his tail and biting.  I finally handed it to my mom, reloaded, and did him in.  Shot #1 just stunned it briefly.  Not such a great shot, but it stretched the limits of my rifle....a .177 air rifle.  BTW, I put that shot down to blind dumb luck, not any skill on my part.  God Bless,   Marc