Author Topic: Tennessee banana patchbox release  (Read 3302 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Tennessee banana patchbox release
« on: June 05, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
Ok,
This is my first Tennessee rifle with a banana patchbox.  Done lots of Pennsylvania type releases, but not one of these.
Any input, photos, etc. on these?
Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline BOB HILL

Re: Tennessee banana patchbox release
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:24:16 AM »
Look in the tutorial section. There is a tutorial by Ken Guy on this.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 01:23:27 AM »
Years ago I got the remains of an original Tn long rifle and it had a banana patch box held shut with
a nail that could be pushed out of the way to open it.Just a small common nail bent at 90 degrees
and it had always been there.No other fasteners.

Bob Roller

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
This is my preferred  way of doing them. I have seen it done this way on originals also.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »
Lovely work, Mr. Barker!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
Ok,
This is my first Tennessee rifle with a banana patchbox.  Done lots of Pennsylvania type releases, but not one of these.
Any input, photos, etc. on these?
Thanks in advance.

I took this picture some time earlier this year   Although the patch boxes are closed you can still see the catch.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
Well Smallpatch you're in for some fun. I just last week completed a banana patchbox and fabricated all the spring components...

Basically I followed Ken G's tutorial; http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2613.0

You can make the lid opener out of an old hacksaw blade, As Ken recommended I used a spring steel masonry nail (Big Box store) as the release. Begin by annealing both, torch them cherry red and bury them in ashes or sand. Once they cool you can now cut them to size and use files to shape your needed springy things.

That nail requires a lot of filing, the shank must be thin, when you first cut off the piece that will become the nail go ahead and clamp it in a vice and form the head by heating the top to cherry red and careful hammering, be careful that it does not bend one way or the other. Keep an eye on it as you hammer and don't make it too large. Just quench in water when it is to your satisfaction. Now the filing to shape begins, note that the one shown in the photo below is a second nail I made and the head filed differently.

As I mentioned, front to back, you will want the shaft thin, less than a 1/16th. The reason is a thin shank will readily bend whereas a thicker one reseists. Later you are going to temper both the nail and lid lift to bring back the spring steel aspect to both. Unlike Ken I tempered mine by polishing the parts then slowly bringing them up to a deep blue with a torch. You'll recognize that "spring steel" look when you get there, slowly... See the small length of bar stock the nail is sitting on? I polished it too and watched, it will turn before the nail or lid lift, when it got deep straw colored I stopped with the torch and just let it go blue - I quenched in warm motor oil.

Good luck. You won't get much movement out of the nail but it will be enough to allow the lid to spring open. You get one chance to nail the latch into the proper position so be careful, do pre-drill for it and make sure you are dead vertical.

dave
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:38:23 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 04:09:05 AM »
PPatch nice looking rifle. Your right about one chance for getting a nail latch right that's why I don't like using them. I seen a rifle at the Tennessee show this spring that looked like the latch spring was riveted to the butt plate.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:24 AM »
Thanks P,
That's what I needed.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
PPatch nice looking rifle. Your right about one chance for getting a nail latch right that's why I don't like using them. I seen a rifle at the Tennessee show this spring that looked like the latch spring was riveted to the butt plate.

What is "right" or is it what works? The surviving antiques I have seen look like
an expedited job from the first cut to the last.Necessity IS the mother of invention.

Bob Roller

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
  Brian, how is the thumb button made on your release? Is it a piece added or is the metal rolled up on itself? Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:45:43 AM »
Bob I soldered or brazed the thumb tab on to the spring. You probably don't need spring steel for the release but I use it anyway.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
Worked like a charm..... except for one thing.
When I drove it in, it turned away from center.  I pulled, and tried again, but it just went back in the same direction.
But it worked!!
In His grip,

Dane