Author Topic: Turkey gun.  (Read 3951 times)

Lobo

Re: Turkey gun.
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
I've always felt a jug choked barrel would effect RB accuracy. That's what I like about smoothbores, their versatility

I've killed a half dozen turkeys with my open choked 12 and 20ga. If they get within 25yd's they're dead. I killed one at 30yd's once...miss judged the distance. I feel the challenge is to get them within range..,., from 35yds to 25yd's. I don't need a choked barrel  :)

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
50yds from a 44" jugged barrel and literally next to no load development.   

Not too shabby for a smoothie from what I've read and seen posted and talked about...it's killed 3 deer.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 10:26:48 PM »
I had a smoothbore .44 cal. flint lock gun at one time. It was fully capable of head shooting snowshoe hares out to 50yards, with a patched round ball.

I currently have a 20 bore, smooth bore flinter that has a standard choke at the muzzle.  Hitting at 50yards (keeping 5 consecutive shots on paper) and further is a stiff challenge for this gun,

however  it seems to shoot quite well at 25 yards with patched round ball. This gun puts out amazingly dense and close patterns, even though the choke is barely tighter than IMP Cyl.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V