Author Topic: Inletting Chisels  (Read 1199 times)

Offline g.pennell

Inletting Chisels
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
After reading some of the carving tutorials, I decided to make some tiny inletting chisels. I’ve never tried “stabbing” a carving outline in, but want to try the technique. So this morning I made some out of a piece of 1/16” x 3/16” 1075 spring stock.

I first cut the stock into 3” lengths, and rough shaped the blades and tangs on the belt sander. I left one 3/16” wide, and made one 1/8”, and one 1/16” wide. Here are the roughed out blanks.

Then I hardened the blanks by heating to cherry red and quenching in ATF.  The blanks were then polished with a piece of 400 grit paper, so I could watch the tempering colors, and tempered to a brown/straw on the cutting edge.

For the handles, I used some maple “coffee mug” pegs.  My late father and I made some coffee mug trees for Christmas gifts several years ago, and I still have a bunch of these pegs...they make great little tool handles. Just a few minutes work on the end of the peg, and some of those brass things that you find all over most shooting ranges make a nice ferrule. Just cut off the excess with your jewelers saw.

Here are the hardened, tempered blades installed in the handles...ready to be stoned to their final shapes.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R.

Re: Inletting Chisels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:15:45 AM »
Looks good Greg, let us see how they work!
I would have no quarrel with thee if thou be a friend of liberty.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
Ditto!  They look great.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
where do you get that spring stock?

Offline g.pennell

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
Bigmon, the spring stock came from Brownells, it’s one of the spring assortments they sell...several different widths/thicknesses of 1075 in 12” pieces. Having good spring material comes in handy working on old guns...I wind up making a lot of parts that I just can’t find.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
Nice job. I would flatten one side of those handles.