Author Topic: Ramrod Making Tool question  (Read 5684 times)

Jim Evans

Ramrod Making Tool question
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
What tool do you use to make a Ramrod ?
I talking about using a 1/2 square wood slat and making it round, and where would I be able to find such a tool?
I have tried a spoke shaver, with mixed results.

Online Dave Marsh

Re: Ramrod Making Tool question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:09:54 PM »
I use one of Tom Curran's rod scraping tools on every ramrod I make.  My first one seemed to have dulled on me, so I simply laid it on a good flat stone and after a few licks, it shaved wood again nicely.  The case hardening on these is very deep.  Indispensable tool.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:34:47 AM »
Spokeshave and scrapers for me.

It takes a minute.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »
 I use a Stanley #77 Dowel Maker. I think that the last ones were made in the 1960s, so they are collectable. It took me a while to find one in good condition at a half reasonable price. They always came with a 3/8" cutter head, so that is what you usually find them with. I wanted a 5/16 cutter head and they are rarer than the machine and often bring as much as the machine itself. The great thing about them is that they can make a dowel as long as the longest piece of wood you have and for chunk gun barrels that can be a blessing.

Okieboy

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 04:12:02 PM »
Found this on the YouTubes awhile back.  I’ve been meaning to make one, just haven’t found the round tuits yet. Enjoy!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:29:22 PM »
Most of us have everything needed to make a device laying around the shop.  This is made to be an arrow shaft device but will do equally well for a ram rod.  If you have a router with a 45* bit you simple run it down the middle of a board.  I didn't have a router so i hand planed 45* angles on the outside edges of a board ( might have been a 2X4).  Then cut in half and screw it to another board (piece of plywood here).

Drive a tack into the v at one end to hold the blank in place while being planed.

Lay the blank in the V and plane the top corner.  Rotate and do the same to the other three corners.  Then keep going and plane the eight corners.  You can do the remaining 16 corners if you like but a sanding block with a larger V cut and a piece of sandpaper will get you to round very quickly. 

Mike Lee

Jim Evans

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »
Longcruise
That's a great way , Thanks

chubby

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 05:33:08 AM »
I use a Veratos tennon cutter in 3/8, works great can start with 1/2 inch squares  Chubby :)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 07:37:44 AM »
chubby, i upgraded to one of those too for my arrow shaft making.  Also makes great ramrods.   Didn't bring it up in the first post because the hand plane is the simple economical way to make an occasional ram rod.  With the veritas set up I can run a dozen shafts in about 45 minutes including cutting blanks.  If someone had a mind to produce a bunch of ramrods the Veritas is a good way to go.
Mike Lee

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
I couldn't find it on line, perhaps you would have better luck, but I believe Mike Lea was still selling his rr tapering tool at the CLA show.  I think he may also advertise in Muzzle Blasts.
It's a little pricey but works like a charm.  I'll try to get a picture to add.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:55:31 PM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 03:35:22 AM »
Mike Lee

Offline Maineshops

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »

This is what I use. Works good. Dan

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 10:48:04 PM »
Unique.  :)
Mike Lee

Offline Maineshops

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 03:27:19 PM »
I use a Stanley #77 Dowel Maker. I think that the last ones were made in the 1960s, so they are collectable. It took me a while to find one in good condition at a half reasonable price. They always came with a 3/8" cutter head, so that is what you usually find them with. I wanted a 5/16 cutter head and they are rarer than the machine and often bring as much as the machine itself. The great thing about them is that they can make a dowel as long as the longest piece of wood you have and for chunk gun barrels that can be a blessing.

Okiboy... are you getting smooth cuts from your down maker? I tried mine and they look like I cut them with a broad ax?