Author Topic: Can anyone identify this rifle?  (Read 1451 times)

Shane

Can anyone identify this rifle?
« on: June 07, 2018, 02:08:22 AM »
Trying to identify this rifle any information would be helpful. I can post more images if needed. It was given to my father in the early 1960's. I have always liked the rifle and now want to build a replica. It has a .32 cal. swamped 7/8" barrel. No makers marks that I could find. Butt plate has J.W. Arnold stamped on it, I assume a previous owner. Thanks

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Can anyone identify this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »
Can you show us a better, closer picture of the complete patchbox, as well as one of the forestock inlays? That would help in locating the gun. Shelby Gallien

Shane

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:58 PM »
I'd say it was built somewhere near where Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania all come together.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Shane

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:15:04 AM »
That's interesting because my family roots are from there (Wetzels/Briggs). I figured it was a late Lancaster, Leman, Drepperd plains style. What makes you think it was from that region? What about it's age? 1840 - 1860? Thanks for the feedback. I'm having a difficult time finding someone with a stock pattern with a beaver-tail check piece and 13/16" barrel.