Author Topic: Need horn ideas  (Read 1444 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Need horn ideas
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
I was given a fairly large finished horn.

It’s nothing special. My dad found it at a yard sale. He got it for a dollar and gave it to me. Lol

It has a wooden base plug. No plug in the spout. No staples or anything to attach a strap. There’s a hole about 1/8” across very near the base that is plugged with what appears to be glue or epoxy. 

I figured this is a good horn to mess with for a project.

But what project?

Any ideas?

Never worked on a horn before, but free raw material seems the place to start. :)

Thanks for any ideas!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Need horn ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
I would have to see and feel the horn.    Do you have enough extra horn in the throat to carve?   You said it is a large horn.   What are the dimensions;dia base plug; length around the outside curve?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
For an idea, here is a Horn I purchased at Dixon's Gun Makers Fair, many years ago.
It is a large horn and holds 1 1/2 pounds of 2F - just perfect for a trail walk with my
14 bore rifle.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »
Old, damaged horns can be rehabilitated, too.  I had a large one I acquired in the 1960s.  Over time it developed cracks.  Just a few year ago, after careful study, I cut away the 40% that was the base section.  After filling a few small "bug" holes, installing a new base plug & adding handmade staples, it became a rather nice little day horn.  So instead of a large horn holding over a pound of powder, I had one that held about 4oz.  That's it on the left.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
I have taken several of the very poorly made commercially available horns and modified them.  Here is a link to one example......

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21886.0

Just have fun working on it.  For a dollar, how can you go wrong !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780