Author Topic: wooden flasks  (Read 1503 times)

Offline webradbury

wooden flasks
« on: June 07, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Were there ever any turned wooden flasks used for powder?  I was tempted to make an antler flask recently, and still may, but in the preparation, I began thinking about a small turned wooden vessel with either a valve or simple spout and plug.  I have seen the wooden flasks from the 17th century, made with wood panels and sheet metal, but I can't find any evidence of simple turned wooden flasks.  Seems there would be something out there considering the ease of manufacture of something of this nature if a person had access to a treadle lathe back in the day.  Curious.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: wooden flasks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
The Russian American Fur Company, that trapped off the Pacific Coast, used small round flasks made of wood. I made one years ago when I was a reenactor at Fort Ross. Mine was made by using a 6” hole saw on a piece of 3/4” walnut to make the two pieces of the body. I hogged out the interior with a round bottomed router bit, and used a fluted bit  to make the molding on the exterior. I plugged the hole left by the center bit with a pewter button I made, and engraved it.

Hungry Horse

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
I have a contemporary wooden powder flask made from 3 pieces of birds eye maple. It is fitted with a regular flask top.
Mark
Mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:55:59 AM »
It was common to have powder charges carried in a collection of wooden vials, hung from a bandoleer in the days of the matchlock musket.  There are lots of original woodcuts and etchings of this phenomenon.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:31:51 PM »
Not Exactly what you are seeking, but flasks made of coconut shells were a fad at one time, and often beautifully engraved.
mainly  appear to have been French

Sort of wood, what?

;)

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »
The Russian American Fur Company, that trapped off the Pacific Coast, used small round flasks made of wood. I made one years ago when I was a reenactor at Fort Ross. Mine was made by using a 6” hole saw on a piece of 3/4” walnut to make the two pieces of the body. I hogged out the interior with a round bottomed router bit, and used a fluted bit  to make the molding on the exterior. I plugged the hole left by the center bit with a pewter button I made, and engraved it.

Hungry Horse

Anything like this: http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=6435

I'm always interested in anything pertaining to the Russian fur trade. Very hard to find anything on it here on the East Coast.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:12:56 PM »
The Russian flasks are round,and flat, with a added metal spout. The body is often banded around the center seam with metal, and often has rings for a shoulder strap. On a couple I have seen, the plug is metal with a measure that fits into the neck of the spout, which sometimes is attached to the metal band.
 If you Google Ft. Ross, you will find quite a lot of information on the Russian fur trade. I think they were in California for about forty years.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
After cobbling together a powder "horn" from a piece of bamboo a few years ago, I've seen photos of a couple of other contemporary bamboo horns/flasks; round, of course.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.