Author Topic: Finished my first rifle, on to the second  (Read 3172 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Finished my first rifle, on to the second
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 04:10:03 AM »
To add to Mr B's comments.... there is not a straight line anywhere from the lock back. All different arcs.  A rough go if you haven't handled one.  Hard to explain, or see in photos.
Also......skinny. Like Mr Martin told me..... remove wood till you're scared, then remove a little more.
As far as I've seen, there are no legit Rupp precarves out there. 
I've heard that MBS makes one, but I've not seen it.

Thank you guys for all the info.  I just placed an order for the MBS 44" swamped 50 kit and the KRA Lehigh Valley disc.  I looked at the pecatonica kit but it had the wrong side plate and double set triggers.  Easy enough to replace but I liked the MBS kit.  Ryan and Terry Jo have been more than helpful too.  I plan to do a plank build of a Southern Mountain after this.   I sure hope the Southern Mountain floats my boat for the hobby,  but I doubt it.

Told you so,bro !!! Welcome to the addiction !! Nice work on your first. looking forward to the next ones,plural.  Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Finished my first rifle, on to the second
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 04:43:34 AM »
To add to Mr B's comments.... there is not a straight line anywhere from the lock back. All different arcs.  A rough go if you haven't handled one.  Hard to explain, or see in photos.
Also......skinny. Like Mr Martin told me..... remove wood till you're scared, then remove a little more.
As far as I've seen, there are no legit Rupp precarves out there. 
I've heard that MBS makes one, but I've not seen it.

Thank you guys for all the info.  I just placed an order for the MBS 44" swamped 50 kit and the KRA Lehigh Valley disc.  I looked at the pecatonica kit but it had the wrong side plate and double set triggers.  Easy enough to replace but I liked the MBS kit.  Ryan and Terry Jo have been more than helpful too.  I plan to do a plank build of a Southern Mountain after this.   I sure hope the Southern Mountain floats my boat for the hobby,  but I doubt it.

Told you so,bro !!! Welcome to the addiction !! Nice work on your first. looking forward to the next ones,plural.  Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Thanks Dave.  We will have to get some lunch sometime in your neck of the woods. I'm weaving, leatherworking, trying to learn to engrave, carving, etc.  I really enjoy reading about the different schools and slight style differences. I live in Boyd County, Ky but have 300 acres in Mason County, WV. It's prime deer hunting land.  My first rifle was a mutt of several different rifles from several different gunsmiths and a whole lot of learning.  I plan to get more disciplined on the second and follow a specific rifle. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:45:11 AM by Afghanvet »