Author Topic: Rice or Colerain?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Rice or Colerain?
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
Is the Rice 44" B swamped barrel worth the $75 more than a Colerain?  What's the difference?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Rice or Colerain?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:49:29 AM »
Where can you get Colerain barrels for $150?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:53:22 AM »
Sometimes, the difference is availability.  Both are great barrels.  I have an impression that Rice barrels may have a better 'out of the box' finish on the outside.  Both enjoy superlative reputations for quality and accuracy.  I have only purchased Colerain's barrels through dealers, so have no idea about their customer service, whereas I have spoken personally and via email and phone with Rice Barrels and enjoy the personal interaction.  That alone is worth $20 to me.  My opinion only. (MOO)
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »
Dennis,  I can't get Colerain barrels for $150.   I was quoted a kit price of $75 more for a rice barrel. 

Mike

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:14:23 AM »
Get the Rice  ;)

Mitch

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:59 AM »
The Rice will save you time finishing it.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:53:14 AM »
I think all Colerain's are radius grooved and if that floats your boat that's one for Colerain as you have to pay more for that feature with Rice.  Rice barrels have a better exterior finish than Colerain.  One for Rice.  I can get a Rice b-wt oct for $195 and a gunmaker's special from Rice for $225 so not quite
$75 but then if you want radius grooved rifling Rice will be higher $265.  So we are getting closer.

I have the impression that  a lot of folks want Rice barrels at a Colerain price.  I have Rice barrels in my personal guns. I have no knock against Colerain when the time came to write the check I decided to go with Rice.  Draw filing that Colerain barrel is an extra task I'd rather not do and I don't care about radius grooved rifling so the little extra is worth having the job done for me.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 03:00:18 AM »
I have a strong dislike for barrel with deep narrow round grooves.  I can draw file pretty fast.  I rather have a barrel that works for me forever than save time finishing.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:32 AM »
Rice. Square groove. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 03:42:23 AM »
I have used barrels from both companys and really have no complaints with any of the current barrel makers. They all make fine barrels. I ordered a Rice barrel before they got their machinery built. I didn’t realize that it was the first barrel they sold until about seven years ago when L.C. was introducing me to Jason at the Lex. show. Needless to say I have used many of them since. They have always been great people to do business with and produce a fine product. Who could ask for more.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Gordy

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 03:48:32 AM »
I just purchased a barrel from Colerain. Called and talked to Scott Keller at Colerain. Super nice fellar, and Colerain has changed the way they finish there barrels out. There was minimal draw filing required to finish the barrel out. I have finished the rifle and shot it some. Shoots very impressive at this point. I would not hesitate to buy another Colerain barrel. I have another rifle with a swamped Colerain barrel, it shoots extremely good ! Save yourself some money and buy the Colerain. When I said I recently purchased one of there barrels I am saying within the last 6 weeks.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
Thanks all!! I appreciate the advice and have a clear direction.  Clear as mud!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
You'll get an opinion from everyone who replies, and some differ.  So what?  Buy a barrel, build a rifle and make up your own mind.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
I've got both. The Rice came with a better finish, no chips in the barrel or breech, and the it was breeched a little better. Meaning when it bottomed out the witness marks lined up.
The Colerain required draw filing but this was 15 to 20 years ago. The breech plug threads were full of chips. And when it bottomed out the witness marks didn't quite line up. But all this is minor and soon cleaned up.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Colerain because it has always shot tighter groups than my Rice. I like them both.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
Dennis,  I can't get Colerain barrels for $150.   I was quoted a kit price of $75 more for a rice barrel. 

Mike
Check Rice's website (http://www.ricebarrels.com ) flat bottomed rifled barrels are $225.00. I think the last Colerain barrel I bought was about $200. I personally prefer flat bottom rifling. Both barrels shoot better than I can.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:13:43 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
Availability is the deciding factor for me. Wait times can be lengthy , depending on caliber, length and profile you're looking for.
If you need something quickly, you can usually find a Colerain in stock somewhere if you call around. My last barrel was from C. Burton and it is fabulous.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »
I found Colerain breechplugs to be poorly fitted and Rice spot on. I also found customer service at Colerain to be as good as it gets, Scott will bend over backwards to make you happy.

You may have to refit the breechplug on the Colerain barrel and do a little draw filing on the barrel.

My last Rice barrel needed to be draw filed as well, it had a lot of milling marks (Kibler kit). My other two Rice barrels didn't need to be draw filed.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
Thanks for all the information.  It sounds like it is a toss up.  I draw filed the barrel on my gun to brown and it wasn't a big deal.  I'm really happy with the results,  so I would probably draw file any barrel.  I wasn't sure if one of the barrels was imported from a LBD in turgikastan and the other from a hard working American.    It sounds like both are from reputable folks.   I've made my mind up!! I'll do one of each!!  Haha.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:42:51 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »
Just took my 25+ yr old Colerain to a bench to check it out after many years of off hand matches and hunting.  At about 30 yds, as good as I can see, it cuts the same hole if I can hold it and see it clear.  Scott at Colerain will do anything to help.
I have no experience with Rice other than am waiting on my Kibler kit?
Hope it helps

freddiej

Douglas Premium Barrels
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
Is there still any existing source for Douglas Premium (XX) barrels? I built around those barrels exclusively back in the 70s. They always shot well, no matter what the weight or caliber.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »
You will do well with either brand. I have a couple of colerain's on guns, the others have Rice barrels and one with an Ed Rayl - for all practical purposes I can't discern a difference in their shooting qualities (that could just be me...). Go with what your heart and pocketbook tell you. A little extra draw filing is nothing.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »
I have used both barrels for quite some time.  The 'round bottom' or radius rifling in both is somewhat different so it's not an apples for apples comparison.  The Rice barrels use either a true square bottom rifling, like the green mountain barrels, or a radius bottom, which is essentially a square groove with a slightly radiated bottom to the groove.  In other words, in profile, cut a square in half an then add a bit of an arc to the bottom.  Colerain, on the other hand is a really deep round groove, like a big "U" shape.  If you look at the old photos of the muzzle of the Ed Marshall gun that George published in RCA 1, that's what you get with Colerain.

Both barrels will shoot very accurately, much more accurately than I can personally shoot. 
I find the Colerain barrels to require a thicker patch to prevent burn-through as the grooves seem to be cut more deeply, but on the other hand, the Colerain barrels seem also to be more forgiving of various loads and patch thicknesses to obtain the same accuracy.  At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Also I have dealt with both companies personally and found both to be VERY attentive to the satisfaction of the customer, so it's a draw there too.  Scott Keller at Colerain whipped me out a completely custom smoothbore barrel in about 3 weeks once, and the Rice guys worked with me to stretch out one of their profiles to 46" length which became the 46" rifled barrel they sell, so ultimately, I think both companies are representative of the penultimate in customer service and super nice people.

I think ultimately it's all going to come down to exterior finish, which I must admit, gives Rice a marginally slight bit of an edge.  I've not had any breeching problems with either company as well.  I would be perfectly happy building a rifle with either barrel.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Availability is the deciding factor for me. Wait times can be lengthy , depending on caliber, length and profile you're looking for.
If you need something quickly, you can usually find a Colerain in stock somewhere if you call around. My last barrel was from C. Burton and it is fabulous.

Nothing wrong with Colrain or Rice barrels.  I also agree with your assessment of Charlie Burton's FCI barrels.  I have a few and have built guns for other people using them.  Quality products.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: Douglas Premium Barrels
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:34 PM »
Is there still any existing source for Douglas Premium (XX) barrels? I built around those barrels exclusively back in the 70s. They always shot well, no matter what the weight or caliber.
Not unless you can find one stashed in someone's closet somewhere  and then you can expect to pay for it. Douglas quit making ML barrels a long time ago. They were nice barrels for sure. I used several of them years ago and they always shot great. These days I go with Rice although Green Mountain and Colerain are excellent and I use them if the occasion demands. Jason at Rice is great to work with, stands behind his work and will only send out the best quality stuff.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 11:43:03 PM »
Ya don't have to "break in" a Rice barrel, they shoot from first shot.  That alone is worth the difference in price.  Particularly if you're giving it to a client.
In His grip,

Dane