Author Topic: Riveting nose pieces - what do you use?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Riveting nose pieces - what do you use?
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
I am curious what everybody uses to rivet nose pieces in place.   I have been using copper harness rivets.   I trim off most of the base leaving a little square that I have to inlet on the inside of the barrel channel.  I am looking for an easier way;  maybe a large finishing nail that has had most of the head ground off?   

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Riveting nose pieces - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:10:38 PM »
I use copper roofing nails.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:11:21 PM »
I use copper carpet tacks. You can find them at any big box store, easy to file round (they are cut nails so the shank is square). I file the head into a slight cone shape to fit into a slight countersink. They are dead soft so very easy to peen over on both ends. I like copper because it is HC and just the slight color difference between brass and copper shows you are not using epoxy or some other modern concoction. Even if you do!
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
I've been using some scrap electrical wire, dont remember if its number 10 or 12, its about 1/16" diameter.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »
I used # 8 or # 10 gauge bare wire.  I heated and annealed it, but don't think you need to do that.  Ever so slightly chamfer the MC, and chamfer the wood next to the barrel.  Yo udon't need a huge head on the rivet.  Cut it just slightly longer than you need.  Then your hard center punch in the middle of the wire to start the copper to flaring outwards.   Then hammer it until it fills the chamfer, and stop, or else you'll create a dimple in the MC.  Now you can file it flush on both sides.  A dab of thin super glue on the wood side will help hold it too.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
Mark you probably wouldn't want to do this. But its something to remember... The Phillip Creamer rifle nose cap was attached with a screw. I thought maybe it was threaded into the barrel,, But I pulled down on it and it moved.. So he had inlet a small piece of metal in the barrel channel and threaded for the screw.....LP

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
I've done a lot with copper but switched over to soft brass rod upset in a swage (to make a head) as once it's filed all out, you really can't even see it.  There are certainly a lot of original pieces done this way, of all eras and areas.

The wrap around open ended pieces are pretty much all done with brass rivets.

If a specific style calls for copper I'd certainly go wth that - about as easy to use as can be.  Or a screw, into a barrel stud.  The screw into an inlet piece like louie mentions above sounds pretty darned cool - have not seen that on anything I've taken apart.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:13 PM »
I use stripped copper electric wire. Peen a head on it and counter sink inside the stock and on the outside if the muzzle cap. I have used mild steel wire the same way. As well as brass rod.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
Mark, I used copper wire. Made a jig to make small rivets.

delete match account app
aka “digger658”

Offline Frank

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »
I use a brass 4-40 screw countersunk into the wood in the barrel channel. I was always afraid of doing damage trying to peen the ends of a river.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
I mainly use 1/16" dia. copper wire to make a rivet but I have used a small finishing nail to do the job. The copper is easier to use.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:43:29 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 01:06:39 AM »
Digger, I love that jig for peening out rivet heads!  It's way better than mine, which is a hole in a plate with a countersink.  With the copper bottomed out on my vise, it can kinda scrunch up and get itself pretty lodged in the hole.  I'll have to copy yours!   ;D

Some original rivets were copper, some brass, and some iron... depends on the type of gun you are doing.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 01:35:34 AM »
Rivets made from electric wire scraps.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 02:02:39 AM »
I like copper harness rivets and brass cutler's rivets.  I like the very shallow head which does not diminish too much the integrity of the thin wood of the forestock.  Like Mark, I file them square so they are smaller than the barrel channel bottom flat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »
I’ve used the copper rivets lots, recently switched to solid brass tacks / brads about 1/8” diameter with a slightly rounded head.  Very easy and don’t have to mess around with reshaping the large head like a copper rivet.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 03:37:27 AM »
Stophel,

Certainly easy to make (I'm all about easy :D) and I believe if I had annealed the wire the rivet would have been easier to make and install also.
aka “digger658”

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.   They gave me an idea that solves my problem.   I have a box of copper harness rivets that I would like to use up.   What I decided to do to make them easier to install for a nose piece is make a heading plate for them with a standard countersink.    I just hammer the rivet head into the heading plate and then file away the part of the head I don't want.   It takes just a couple of minutes with a heavy hammer and a sharp file and I have a rivet that is simple to install.   I don't know why I never thought of it before.    It took five minutes (maybe less) to make a heading plate from a piece of scrap steel.   It was Ed's use of brass escutcheon pins (at least that is what I think he was talking about)  that gave me the  breakthrough idea.   I may try the same thing with them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:37:12 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
Mark, I used copper wire. Made a jig to make small rivets.

Digger658, I love that simple jig you made, I think I will make one for myself this afternoon!  Thanks for sharing it!  ;D

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 07:00:52 PM »
With kit work, It's necessary to make processes as efficient as possible.  For pinning a nose cap I buy solid brass escutcheon pins.  These are 16 guage x 3/4" though shorter would be fine.  They have a little rounded head.  Drill a sixteenth hole, counter sink for the head a touch, insert the pin, cut to lenght and peen in place.

I prefer to use two on the 45 degree flats of the barrel channel. 

These pins are sold under the name of National Hardware.  Can be found on Amazon I'm pretty sure.

Jim

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37:05 PM »
Copper harness rivets.  I cut the head square, drill, lightly countersink, and peen.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
I think that I will try the escutcheon pins on brass mounted guns. 

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 02:03:14 AM »
Copper wire scraps.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...