Author Topic: A request for those who post photos  (Read 2499 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
A request for those who post photos
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
Hi Folks,
Some of you attempt to share photos by simply copying your photo hosting address to the the post or cloud hosting address like dropbox.  That may be fine for most folks but for those of us with slow (rural) internet connections, those photos usually take so long to load that I no longer even try to view them.  When you post photos directly into the image capturing features of this site (like using the bulletin board sharing features in imgbb,inmgur, flickr, or other image hosting site, they come up immediately when opening the thread. I understand it may be easier for you to just post the link but I ignore those posts simply because I know it will take forever to load your photos.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Scota4570

Re: A request for those who post photos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:36 AM »
Actually your site uploaded my photos faster than drop box, only about a minuet per photo.  I was surprised that it was easier to figure out too. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
This site's photo upload only takes a few seconds for me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 08:46:09 PM »
Me, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:51 PM »
you have that bad an internet connection and yet you're a moderator.   my hat's off to ya sir. 
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »
It takes like 3 minutes for a photo to upload for me I have  slowww internet.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:49:06 AM »
Hi Daryl and Hanshi,
What I am referring to is when someone simply posts the links to their photo hosting site or cloud storage site, not when they use the photo uploading features of this site.  In the former case, when you click on the link, your computer has to open the photo hosting or cloud storage site to view the photos. That stage can take forever on a slow internet connection. When using the photo upload features of this site, the image is shown immediately when you click on the thread. I have no issue with photos posted using our upload features but when posters just provide a link to their photo hosting site, I often don't bother with it because it takes so long to view the photos.  I am sure I am not alone in this.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:53:32 AM »
... but when posters just provide a link to their photo hosting site, I often don't bother with it because it takes so long to view the photos.  I am sure I am not alone in this.

dave

Dave,
you are certainly not alone in this.  I have the same issues with internet speed, and also generally don't follow the links for that reason.

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:57 AM »
So if I hang image tags around a url inside my posting, then this problem?

"img mypic(dot)here /img"

or is the problem image references that don't automatically load?

IOW should I now use the "upload" process every time to share an image here? 

I do a lot of computing but don't quite get a lot of the programming/HTML speak.

Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:26:40 PM »

or

two different methods I've been using.  NOTE second pic is not mine, I just found it in my collection and it's similar sized to the workbench selfie. 

Anyhoo I figured no one understood my Q, so I used the above pics to see if anyone can tell a difference in loading and that's all I'm curious about. I often get lost trying to understand every parameter of networks and hosting and links and all that, hence the "new form" of the question.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 12:29:44 AM »
Wade,
what I believe Dave is saying (and I am certainly saying) is that if he sees a "link" to a photograph (not the actual photograph) in a post, he will not click on that link to see the picture on another web page such as Flickr or IMGBB etc because it takes too long to load.

I you do what you did in your post with the bench and lock pictures, he will see the pictures in your post almost right away. 

In shorter words, do what you just did above, that way the picture is in the ALR post and those with slow internet can see it quickly.

Hope that helps,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:49:17 AM »
I understand slow connections and problems associated with them. Personally, instead of simply typing or copy-pasting an address into the post, I
usually try to upload pictures I might want to use here, to my desk-top first, then use the picture uploading "Add image to post" button below this box
as it loads them easily for anyone to view.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 04:00:38 AM »
OK while we are on this subject lets talk about photo sizes.

This forum can handle photos that are no larger than 700 pixels x 700 pixels that means if you upload a photo that our software must reduce those large 6 and 7 Megabit photos that are usually something like 5000 pixels by maybe 3000 pixels the software must reduce it to the longest side being only 700 pixels.

When you upload those large photos and the software reduces them to max size for our forum you can get distorted lower quality photos. If you either set your camera to take smaller photos or use a photo edit program to resize them you will get better quality photos on ALR PLUS the photos will load much quicker and also save diskspace where ever you have them hosted.
FYI
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 04:51:38 AM »
OK while we are on this subject lets talk about photo sizes.

This forum can handle photos that are no larger than 700 pixels x 700 pixels that means if you upload a photo that our software must reduce those large 6 and 7 Megabit photos that are usually something like 5000 pixels by maybe 3000 pixels the software must reduce it to the longest side being only 700 pixels.

When you upload those large photos and the software reduces them to max size for our forum you can get distorted lower quality photos. If you either set your camera to take smaller photos or use a photo edit program to resize them you will get better quality photos on ALR PLUS the photos will load much quicker and also save diskspace where ever you have them hosted.
FYI
Dennis

Hey Dennis,

In a related note-there's only one thing that taxes my system with regard to photo postings and that's the quoting and re-quoting of posts with huge photo content (size or number). Maybe there is some way pics included in quoted posts could automatically be reduced or eliminated?  For anyone reading who hasn't noticed what I'm speaking of, to wit: When Slim posts 14 great pics of this or that Great Thing, and then Billy quotes the entire post to add his two bits, and then Jameson re-quotes the OP or Billy's post and then we get to see the same catalog of great big wonderful pics again such that you have 3 pages to scroll through and only 5 or 7 actual posts. 

I do quite understand a wide array of "internet skillsets" are at play here. I'm not trying to pick on anyone ('specially not Slim, Billy, or Jameson ;) ), just asking if maybe the SMF software can "auto collapse" or reduce such massive post quotes. I think I've seen that on other SMF-powered forums.

I try to remember to resize, and usually only foul that up when going straight from mobile device.  Cheers
Hold to the Wind

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:59:18 AM »

It's been my experience to quote the message or parts thereof --- left click and hi-light any thing you don't want to show. Then hit delete on the key board and it just disappears. You may have to do the pictures one at a time any statements a few at a time until you get what you want.

I'm far from being an expert and about as computer savage as a painted rock but it works for me!!

Big John
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
Sorry but no way for software to edit a Quote. If the user doing the reply could remember to do as Big John says it would really help members that have slower internet speeds.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Sorry but no way for software to edit a Quote. If the user doing the reply could remember to do as Big John says it would really help members that have slower internet speeds.
Dennis

Usually if a Moderator sees such a post they will modify it by removing the Quoted Pix.

Tim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Yes, I get how to do quotes and keep them small. Maybe word will leak out.

I'm one of the few living humans who understands ellipsis and uses it often  :o.  Modern usage of  "..." (or any number of a string of periods-they weren't "dots" back in the day) is as a substitute for umm errr uhhh and other variations of stammer, delay, and pause.

I've gone so far as to reduce the size of quoted pics when I'm quoting passages including pics, but usually nip them and any unnecessary text in the quote. Hence the rare and proper use of ellipsis.

Apologies, I was mistaken.  It was in XenForo forum software where I've seen the "auto-collapse" quoted passages. 

WWW wide wild world and we all meet here.  Pardon my "venting". Participation is more important than "proper" participation in most cases, especially here when we have so many minds full of great information that needs to be distributed for the love of the rifle and Americana.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:49:47 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Davemuzz

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
This is all very complicated techie stuff to me. I just upgraded my speed to something like supersonic. I can view like 10 pics in a matter of seconds. But I don't look at any posted on photobucket as all i get is popup junk.

Offline will payne

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
My internet is just to slow.😕 I can upload but it takes like 4 minutes.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »

Try making smaller photos or resize them to 700 pixels, feel sure the upload will be less than a minute.
Dennis

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
My internet uploads at best about 0.5 MBPS and downloads between 1 and 3 MBPS.  It goes down a lot too.  They just strung fiber about 100 yards from my house.  We are looking at upgrading but I will have to pay to lay the cable. 

Offline will payne

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »

Try making smaller photos or resize them to 700 pixels, feel sure the upload will be less than a minute.
Dennis
thank you for the advice.
🕯
Will