Author Topic: Seeking consensus on appropriateness of percussion build?  (Read 1601 times)

Canuck Bob

Seeking consensus on appropriateness of percussion build?
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:48 AM »
I'm researching a build possibility of a percussion "Indian Gift" rifle.  I've started on some other forums but waited to enquire here.  My question is whether this rifle is of interest to folks here or too far from the forum's focus.  I ask because the degree of knowledge and technical skill is incredible here.

Here is the link to Bill Armstrong's blog with details, it is the second rifle in the picture.

http://adviceotheprairie.blogspot.com/2011/01/rifles-typically-non-typical-part-1.html

This rifle's details are still in question however some consensus considers it a Gift Rifle from the 1840s from the Canadian Colonial Government.  It uses a surplus Baker barrel, walnut stock, back action, and hook breech.  Some pictures indicate it has a barrel sight with a folding leaf.  There is one reported rifle in England and a number of Canadians have them.

The Museum of the Fur Trade is said to have a copy and detail it in their Firearms of the Fur Trade book.  I'm verifying that currently.  Some interesting comments include the fact the rifle may be too well built for a trade gun.  One collector reports that the rifle is a delight to handle, light, and of very good build quality adding credence to this statement.

If I can afford it this is my HC muzzleloader build.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:51:55 AM by Canuck Bob »

Offline FALout

Re: Seeking consensus on appropriateness of percussion build?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:47:52 AM »
I don’t know for sure if okay with forum.  I’m doing research myself to build an Ohio styled rifle, would rather build a flinter but most look to be percussion.  I say build it if you like.
Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »
Interesting design - appears to have military Enfield-like lines, with a back-action lock, but full lock panel like the Enfield rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Canuck Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
Interesting design - appears to have military Enfield-like lines, with a back-action lock, but full lock panel like the Enfield rifle.

Daryl,
It sure caught my eye.  There is a British forum thread that excited my interest with more info and good pictures. The rifle is represented well in Ontario reports.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/british-percussion-rifle-possible-canadian-indian--t19806.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:34:49 AM by Canuck Bob »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »
Hi Bob,
Are you sure that is not one of the early back-action Brunswick rifles rather than a restocked Baker?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
I remember seeing guns that were of similar appearance for sale from Bannerman or
maybe in the Gun Digest 50 or 60  years ago.

Bob Roller

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
Hi,
I believe the gun is an early Brunswick rifle with the Lovell designed back action lock. I think it was gussied up a bit by adding the barrel key escutcheons and a Manton carbine trigger guard and eliminating the patch box. It would be easy to tell because the Brunswick had 2-groove rifling I believe.

dave

Canuck Bob

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Hi Bob,
Are you sure that is not one of the early back-action Brunswick rifles rather than a restocked Baker?

dave

Dave, I am going on reports, not qualified to comment, but everyone claims it is a Baker barrel retrofit.  One owner even qualified it to state it surprised him that it was of the Baker Rifle caliber rather than the more common Baker Carbine caliber.  I'm hoping to track down an original I can visit.  Your posts are acknowledged and will be researched.  Daryl's comment regarding what I would call a side lock stock design is under consideration too. 

Edit: My limited reference report 7 groove Baker barrels.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:22:11 PM by Canuck Bob »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
Hi Bob,
That might make some sense if it is a modified Baker barrel. The British army was converting to percussion and also adopting the Brunswick rifle for their rifle regiments around 1840 so there may have been a lot of old or unused Baker barrels available as surplus.

dave

Canuck Bob

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:35:29 AM »
Article regarding these rifles.