Author Topic: Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun  (Read 6081 times)

blaster12

Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:24:27 AM »
Hello, new to the forum. Anyone have experience with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun? (It's a .62 cal. smoothbore in the Northwest trade gun style.) Currently listed for $995 at Dixie Gun Works. Not interested in building something--too little time or space (apartment dweller). Would use it as a range toy, for the occasional woods walk, and for small game hunting. Thanks, guys.

PS: Historical accuracy is not my primary concern; just looking for first-hand experiences with this particular gun concerning its function/reliability.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:35:24 AM by blaster12 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Generally, Pedersoli flintlocks aren't noted for their lock reliability.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

blaster12

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:54:47 PM »
Mike, thanks for the input. Is this from experience?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:41:36 PM »
Mike, thanks for the input. Is this from experience?
No. It's from watching others struggle to get them to go off.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:56 PM »
I have no experience with him or his weapons but you should contact Jackie Brown on this site or post a "want to buy" add in the classified section.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

blaster12

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
At this time I'm not looking to spend the money or wait for a custom build. FYI: I own a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock rifle that works just fine. (I know it's not period correct and all that but I like it.) I'd like to add a smoothbore to my collection for the reasons mentioned.

The Indian Trade gun they sell has a different lock from my Penn. so I was hoping to hear from folks who have owned or fired that particular model. Shooting muzzleloaders is a side hobby for me--I primarily shoot modern handguns and rifles so I'm not looking to make a huge investment. Just looking for a gun that works, can buy now, won't cost a fortune, and will see occasional use. On paper the Pedersoli Indian Trade gun fits the bill. Hoping to hear opinions/reviews on it. Thanks guys.

Offline rollingb

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:00:43 AM »
Blaster12,.... check PM.
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
Sold my Pedersoli Trade gun, wish I had it back

Too late realized my lock problems had to do with flint position, in my case bevel up did not work so well as did bevel down.

Anyway if you get one & it is not firing reliably, or as in my case eating up flints every three shots, pay a lot of attention to lock geometry. How flint is installed is very important, maybe size also.

The good news is Pedersoli use real, honest gun barrel quality steel for their barrels. None - none - of our blessed American makers use anything but free-machining screw stock, or at best, some unspecified variation of 1137 (high sulphur, free machining)

This can make a difference should you be one of those people - i.e. any human - who might make an error in loading.

Offline redheart

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 03:37:14 AM »
Generally, Pedersoli flintlocks aren't noted for their lock reliability.
I agree totally with Mike. Pedersoli guns generally work O.K., but their flintlocks are a krap shoot. I've tuned up 7 0r 8 0f them to make them shoot most of the time, however I was never totally happy with them. I've never worked on their Trade Gun lock, just the rifle, pistol and Brown Bess locks. If you want first hand info, try the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum, they go in more for the Italian knock offs than ALR guys do. Just Sayin.

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
I've never had any problems with the one on my Mortimer shotgun.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 12:00:19 AM »
The Mortimer flintlock is a well designed and made lock. It is a good performer, as has already been mentioned.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »
Look up "Black Powder Maniac Shooter" on y-tube.  He has used a Pedersoli kY flint rifle for around 5 or six years.  His goes off reliably.  He recently has been using a Pedersoli Trade gun 62/20ga.  It seems to do ok also but he uses a very fine priming powder. 

I had a Blue Ridge Pedersoli in the early 2000's It was finicky with the patent breech communication hole being too small for 2f power but worked well for 3F if you made sure the powder was making the trip to the touch hole.  The Pedersoli will do fine for what you describe. You may or may not have to do some tuning.

Bob

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 11:44:25 PM »
Blaster....... Jackie Brown has Trade rifles that he builds and sells here on this site. He mostly uses good parts and his prices are hard to beat. They run in the $900 range and you will have a well made very shootable gun.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker