Author Topic: Engraving books?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Scota4570

Engraving books?
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
Can anyone recommend a book that spells out how to engrave.  I have James B. Meeks book, it has very little on how to actually cut metal.  For instance actual instructions on how to, cut a decent looking "S" should be helpful.  I am pretty sure I am doing something fundamentally wrong.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:50:56 PM by Scota4570 »

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Engraving books?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
Hi,
John Schipper's "Engraving Historic Firearms" and there are a some pretty good DVDs out there by Gusler and others. Probably, the biggest problem for most people is they do not know how to shape and sharpen their gravers.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »
Your #1 go to book for engraving is "Engraving Historic Firearms" by John Shippers.  It's available on the NMLRA website.

For step by step engraving of lettering buy this dvd by Sam Alfano,  It's the 2nd one from the top.

https://www.engraving-videos.com/dvd_catalog.html
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
Wallace Gusler, an Hershel House, videos are great because they don’t start out with you spending a fortune on equipment. After all, this is basic primitive engraving, and should not look like it was done in a jewelry store. I found that the heavier gravers made, and used, by these two artisans are a lot easier to control, and grip, than purchased ones. The purchased gravers have spring to them that heavier bodied gravers don’t. When you think you have just about the right number of hammer blows per inch, double the hammer blows. Light blows and a lot of them is the key. Then engrave every piece of metal you can get your hands on, because practice is the other key.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:16 PM »
I ordered the video and book.

I have already purchases a Lindsay air graver system, several sharpening jigs and a set of diamond laps.   I drew the line a the palm control, it looks great but is very expensive. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:02:55 PM »
To be honest, at this point I don’t know what to tell you. You’re already so far down a path I would have avoided, that I guess you’ll have to figure it out on your own.

Hungry Horse

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi Scot,
Don't fret, you are on a good path and clearly you must be serious about it.  The Lindsay airgraver will help you get over some early hurdles more easily but it does not replace practice, good technique, and correct sharpening. The sharpening templates are a good way to go.  They basically make the shaping and sharpening process almost foolproof. I have diamond stones for the shaping process but use my ceramic stones for fine honing and a leather strop. All that said, the airgraver is great for all of the engraving but I prefer hammer and chisel for barrels because long barrels are clumsy to spin and maneuver. I use the method shown by Lynton McKenzie in his video to sharpen my chisel although Lindsay sells templates and jigs for chisels.  I just got used to McKenzie's method and it is quick and easy.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »
Taking a class recently helped me a lot.  I had taken a class in 1980 or so but apparently forgot everything.  Having someone see what you’re doing and offer small corrections is very helpful.  I agree a set of sharpening templates and diamond stones makes sharpening foolproof.  Everybody develops their own working style and has their own hurdles.  For me: “no death grip” and “when possible engrave toward myself” are 2 key mantras. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
Scot,
Where do you live?  There may be other Lindsay users who would be willing to help you.  It looks like you are just jumping in and trying to engrave beyond your skill level.  There is a short learning curve to master control of the tool.  It's kind like driving a car in traffic. You don't just nail the gas pedal.  You need to learn when to go slow or fast and when to feather the pedal.  The first time I used a Lindsay foot control, it ran away with me.  I couldn't keep up with it.

Do some steel practice plates of lines and curves in both directions until you learn that control.  Steel is actually easier to learn on than brass.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson