Author Topic: ALR postal shoot?  (Read 10266 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

ALR postal shoot?
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
A few people have shown some interest in having an ALR postal shoot.
I am over in BC, so sending all the targets to me for judging would probably be a pain for people in the U.S. Is there someone stateside who would volunteer to get targets mailed to them?  I would suggest a shoot every two months with a single entry allowed.  Maybe we can get some prizes together for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. I can donate a little something.   I came across this target that I thought would be a fun one for 5 shots offhand at 25 yards.
https://d3aya7xwz8momx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Target-Bear.pdf

What do you folks think?

Offline snrub47

Re: ALR postal shoot?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
Good target..........I printed one. Print, shoot and send for scoring, or take a photo and send for scoring. No postage or other expense...easy way to have a postal shoot. I'm it...

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:21:36 PM »
Justin

I would be willing to  have targets mailed to me,

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »
We already have a good format for targets at 100 and 200 yards.  But we didn't get much in the way of participation...I was surprised.  Maybe people prefer shooting at pistol range with rifles!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:31:56 AM »
We already have a good format for targets at 100 and 200 yards.  But we didn't get much in the way of participation...I was surprised.  Maybe people prefer shooting at pistol range with rifles!

That's why I like the English 1000 yard rifles but I am a minority within a smaller yet minority.
I used to rifle ranges up to 300 yards with the kind of pistols that we don't discuss here.
Last time was 1998 then my friend that owned the property died suddenly and no more of
that fun.

Bob Roller

Offline heelerau

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:12 AM »
I have participated in a couple of postal shoots , both 5 shots at 25 yds with long rifles. Took forever sending them stateside from Australia, we will now email the target with a photo of the participant.  No fees just  braggin  rights.  I will say there has not been a great response from the crowd on that particular black powder sight.  All the same I would be in !

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Maven

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:42:11 AM »
Thanks for suggesting this, Justin!  I'm willing to try this as well.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Silky921

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:40 AM »
I'd be a pretty consistent shooter on this one too.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 03:01:26 AM »
What would you shoot at 100 and 200 for targets?

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:10:17 AM »
The only problem with long range is many members don't have a place to shoot that far.

My observations are that if twenty people say they will shoot the actual will be 4 or 5.
Mike Lee

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:15 AM »
What would you shoot at 100 and 200 for targets?

Actually, I think your bear target is a 100 yard target.  It's way too big for 25 yards.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snrub47

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »
The 10 ring on this bear target is 7/16th, the 9 ring is 1 3/16th, that's a little small for a 100 yd off-hand target...............

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »
This one makes a pretty good 25 yard offhand target, with tight enough scoring rings to reduce ties.
Yeah- I know it says Airgunsmith Target.   

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
I like the idea. But I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to targets. A single target from the NMLRA 6 bull target is  difficult enough at 25 yards.  It is doubly difficult at 50 yds. The NRA pistol repair center is quite challenging at a hundred.
 We have plenty of ranges out west that can accommodate 200 & 300 yds.
But when I'm in the Midwest, clubs with more than 100 yd. ranges are not common.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
NRA targets are not readily available here.  What we need, is a target that is available to everyone, England, USA, Australia and Canada.

Pic a target from a web site, that everyone can print off, then shoot - or as I did long ago, right here, was declare a target, then mail out
30 sets of targets and get 7 back shot.  The last time we had a 200yard match, only 3 submissions out of 15 or so 'enlisted'. I guess we
posted out targets too early -  ;).

Someone else can carry that torch, this time around.
Daryl

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 03:25:06 AM »
The B18 used in MLAIC matches should be universally available.
Mike Lee

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:52 AM »
maybe if somebody could photocopy a full sized target and make the file available to us all?

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »
I believe if you have another 200 yard match , you will be lucky to get three submissions. Really not that much 200 yd. offhand shooting going on with PRB. in the US. Silhouette  and gong shooting being an exception. Not much of that either.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 12:55:36 AM »
Sure, lets pick a target, Justin, and mail in the results.  25 yards/meters is fine for a beginning, and we can go further if there is interest.

We can start a thread on which we can post our results.  Just take a picture of your target and post it with your submission.  But first, the target...The bear is fine if you have a link to it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:59 AM »
A link to a printable target on A4 paper will be ideal,

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 05:31:10 AM »
The bear is a PDF so should be easy to do.

Throw some rules and a deadline out and let's do it.
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »
I printed the bear and only got 2/3rds of the  target. It did print the 10 ring, so I guess that's all I need.
 :o ;D

I changed the settings to "General Print" and got a full page printout.  The 10 ring is .422". Is this correct sizing?
7/16", noted above, is .438" (.4375").

Pretty small for a 100yard target.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:17:55 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
There are better printable targets from he Shooting Sports Foundation website for 100 yds. Daryl that Bear target would be very hard to see at 100 yds. with iron sights. The SSF website targets do not indicate what range the targets are intended for.  There would not be any copyright infringement using their targets.

Offline Maven

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
Lots of targets here as well:  http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20011.pdf
Paul W. Brasky

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 04:43:22 PM »
Looks like there'll have to be a committee and

some meetings.

bring coffee

and donuts.   :P  ;D

Let me say this right now.  I'd love to, and might--but won't "commit" until I've got my moving done and have a regular shooting spot.  Also that I can shoot up to 100 or so right now and will work on stretching it to 200 eventually. 

Whatever target needs rings and a defined correct size.  And is pretty much irrelevant to size/shape/color so long as spotters are used.

I think the last time I submitted an online target (pic) was a weak-handed revolver shoot. Rested was no issue, offhand was a bit more challenging. It has been a while.  I do LOOK FORWARD to the day we do some of this shooting. Printing and posting pics saves me 8-10 hours of driving nearly every time.  But I'm not quite just yet ready to play. 

Hold to the Wind