Author Topic: Some tools I made @ George Suiter's Period tool class @NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
I thought I would share some tools I made in George's class at the seminar.  Some of the tools I started there then finished at home in order to maximize my time in the class. George had a magnificent array of tools for study at the class, as well as a number of reference books related to period gunsmithing tools as well as other period tools.  George did a fantastic job of teaching the class - I learned a great deal and had a good time while doing it!  George has a great sense of humor and even a greater amount of knowledge to share.  At least one other member of ALR was in the class (Brokenflint) and can attest to what a great experience it was.

One of the largest projects I did was an 18th century Bow saw.  George had an example on hand as well as patterns for the saw.  It cuts well!  Please pardon the dirty shop floor.

Next is a set of bottoming chisels for cleaning out lock mortices, etc.  Too many uses to cover here really.

I made a plane float in preparation for manufacturing a ramrod plane - it turned out it was useful squaring up tenon shoulders for the saw as well.

Next is a set of 18th century checkering tools, a two line spacer and a cutter:

A saw and mortising chisel for barrel keys:

The lot together:

A rear ramrod thimble mandrel and a mandrel for the upper pipes:

A scratch stock for forestock molding, with dual cutters:

A counter-bore and a patchbox hinge forming tool:

A set of Golden Mean proportional dividers - the engraving is my contemporary creation:

...and last a near copy of a tool I saw in Hershel House's workshop
(brought to my attention by John (Homerifle) ) that has already proved quite handy for molding and cleanup work - made with skills learned in the tool-making class.

Thanks for looking!
Curtis
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:32:14 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Neat stuff Curtis.  As a guy who enjoys making tools about as much as rifles I see a project or two from your post that I will have to manufacture.  Thanks for sharing.
David

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Good to hear from you David!  If you have any questions either post them or PM me.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Chowmi

Curtis,
you did well there!  I can't believe how many tools you made in just 9 days.  Really well done. 

At some point you will have made all the tools you need for gun building.    Then you're gonna have to move on to building wooden sailboats or some such so you can make more tools....

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Online Nordnecker

Nice looking stuff. I think I could get really charged up attending a class like that.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline snapper

Curtis

Very nice.  Looking like you are enjoying retirement!

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Totally impressed. I’d have thought you were there for a month!  The plane float is something I’ve never seen before. Excellent!
Andover, Vermont

galudwig

Beautiful work! I've been eyeing that class for a while. The class description is interesting enough, but the pictures of the tools you made make me want to pull the trigger on it. Thanks for sharing!

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Really neat tools, a couple I would never have thought about. I think you have just filed up next years class ;)

Tim

Offline David R. Pennington

Beautiful tools. My problem is I tend to get in too big a hurry making tools. I find a need and make the tool with very little thought to how it looks, I just want to hurry and get it made to complete the project. Usually the handle is whatever scrap or old handle is close at hand. Your tools would be embarrassed to be seen with mine.
Once you learn to properly heat treat there is little limit to what tools you can produce.
Very nice. I would love to be able to attend some of these classes.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

Tool making is a pleasure to me and always has been including reamers of different styles.
From the looks of the tools you made I would say you also take pleasure and pride in your work.

Bob Roller

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Good stuff, Curtis.  The scratch stock looks really nice.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline KC

Those are some great looking tools. That looks like a class that was well worth the time and effort.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline J. Talbert

Excellent assortment Curtis!

A number of them appear to have begun as forgings. Was the forging done at the class?

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

brokenflint

Dang Curtis I didn't see the dividers in class, nice job!!  I've got to finish up a couple yet, will post up pics when I finish em up.

This class was alot of fun, George has a good teaching demeaner and a tremendous skill set to go with it.  I had a hard time keeping out of his tool box looking at all the stuff he brought with him, instead of working  ;D.  George did a couple of demos on how to use the tools we made as well a explaining the use of some of the antique / reproductions he had with him.  All in all a class well worth my time spent.

This was the 37th yr of the MNLRA Seminar and I wish to thank them, Dr Leeper and WKU for supporting this great program.  I've been to this quite a ,few times and use the time to renew friendships of the folks I don't get to see often.  This is what makes the hobby for me, the friends I've made.  This is also a kick in the gut sometimes, loosing Bob Harn right after I returned home hit me hard, I was in class looking at his original sketches and design ideas so it was a bit surreal when Mike posted up he has passed. 

I've learned a great deal from some very talented instructors and some very talented students!  If you have the opportunity to attend a class at the seminar go for it.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Thanks for all your comments guys!  The class was great and I would definitely recommend it for anyone interested in period tools for gunsmithing.  Or to any tool junky in general!   ;)  As Brokenflint said, George knows his stuff and has a ton of period tools to look at and hold.  One guy even started on a tumbler mill!

Dang Curtis I didn't see the dividers in class, nice job!!  I've got to finish up a couple yet, will post up pics when I finish em up...

Brokenflint, I just had the dividers cut to length and the hole drilled for the pivot when I left Bowling Green.  I figured that was the crucial part and could finish them at home.  I didn't make mine as fancy as yours so I decided to engrave them a bit to break up the bare metal.

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:23:36 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline BOB HILL

A fine looking group of tools there,  Curtis. Sounds like another great class. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline PPatch

Beautiful tools! Love them. The class sounds worth every penny.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline stubshaft

Great looking assortment of tools.  I never thought of using a shaped molding cutter for forends.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

ltdann

Love the scratch stock.  How'd you do the forearm profile so close to the ramrod guide?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
You were busy!  Great job!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Love the scratch stock.  How'd you do the forearm profile so close to the ramrod guide?

Ltdann - I sawed the gap between the ramrod guide, then chiseled it out.  After the cutters were filed to shape, the profile was cut to match using chisels and gouges until close to finshed, then scraped and filed till it matched the cutters.  The cutters were then hardened and heat treated.  It would be easier to just glue half a ramrod section on for the guide after shaping the cutter profile, but where is the fun in that???  8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Excellent assortment Curtis!

A number of them appear to have begun as forgings. Was the forging done at the class?

Jeff

Jeff, the cutting tools were all made from O1 tool steel stock - some forging of the stock was done to shape the cutter head on the dual line checkering tool to widen and curve it, the rest was done with a hacksaw and files.  For that one I used three cornered files and a knife edge file.  The only other tool I did forging on was the scraper float that is in the last photos - the one I copied from a tool Hershel H. made.  The rest were made entirely by filing and some hacksaw work.  Most bending was done with the metal cold in a vice, using a wood block and a crescent wrench.

OOPS, I almost forgot, the bottoming chisels were also forged out.  All the forging was done with a mapp torch on a vice anvil.

Hope that helps explain how they were made.  No fancy tools required!

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:55:26 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Beautiful tools.  Looks like you were very productive!

ltdann

Ltdann - I sawed the gap between the ramrod guide, then chiseled it out.  After the cutters were filed to shape, the profile was cut to match using chisels and gouges until close to finshed, then scraped and filed till it matched the cutters.  The cutters were then hardened and heat treated.  It would be easier to just glue half a ramrod section on for the guide after shaping the cutter profile, but where is the fun in that???  8)

Curtis

LOL, I was actually looking to see if the ramrod guided was glued on!