Author Topic: Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 26 Jul****FINISHED****  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 26 Jul****FINISHED****
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
 Slow work but it is coming along, no rush and having other things to do maybe a couple inches a day.

Tim

how to delete your account
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:40:51 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Looks like it’s coming right along. Can’t tell from the pictures...hickory or maple?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elnathan

Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
Looks like you are using the trick of turning the head backwards as you work it up the handle.

I've done that job a couple of times now, and one thing I've figured out is that it is a lot better to get the handle blank as close to finished dimensions as possible before starting to fit the head. If you leave too much wood on, difference in angle where the finished handle meets the stuff you are trying to remove tends to make the edge of the rasp  dig into the handle and take gouges out of places where you want the wood intact. Hard to explain in words, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

The last time I fitted a tomahawk handle I used a 6" block plane for most of the work, and was able to get a straight handle without removing any more wood than absolutely necessary. Since the eye of the cast tomahawk head I was using was none too large, that was an important point.

I also make a point of fitting axe heads in the winter, when the humidity is low and the wood isn't going to shrink any further, but that might be more of a consideration with wedged handles than with fiction-fit ones.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head-Update 6 Jun
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »
 I has been raining here so I got some more work done. Pretty much where it's going to end up, now to shape things up and decided what kind of cap, mouth piece, inlays to do.
 I took the bowl off so if dropped it would not break off, BTDT.
 More to come.

Tim C.

PS: Greg, it is Maple. TC

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:55:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline stubshaft

Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head-Updated 6 Jun
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
Good job.  keep the photos coming.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline webradbury

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:30 AM »
This is definetly a tedious job. I've done a couple now and it takes some time.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »
Tim, after you do a couple dozen of them you can rough one out in thirty minutes. That's about what it take me now days.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Lookin’ good, Tim.  I have a bunch of cut offs of maple, hickory, and white oak from some logging my son-in-law has been doing.  I need to split out some handle blanks and get ‘em put up to dry.

I’m assuming you drill the smoke hole first, then shape the handle around it?  (Edit:  never mind, I found your tutorial!)

Greg
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:43:28 PM by g.pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head-Updated 26 Jun
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
 Here are a few more Pix, I have decided to wrap a Snake around the haft. One Pic shows a piece of angle iron being used to straighten the haft, a Black mark shows where material needs to be removed. Next is the snake pattern laid out on a piece of Brass and attached with Two sided tape. The inlay cut out, I used a fine toothed blade on the Band Saw, it has been shaped up. Painted it White so I can draw the pattern on it, last shows a test drawing on paper.
 I am going to engrave it before it is inlayed, this should be a trip curving it around the haft, probably start with head and work my way around. Before it is set in I need to decide on the shape and material to use for the the Mouth Piece, Antler or Pewter so it fits the design. Laso haven't decided if I will put the cap, Pewter and mouth piece on before the snake.
 Hopefully there will be more :D

Tim C.

Online smokinbuck

Re: Working On Fitting A Hawk Head-Updated 24 Jun
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Pretty ambitious project, look forward to seeing the finished project.
Mark
Mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 26 Jun
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
 A little more work. The end cap is short and will be covered buy the Eye, it needs to be worked down so the head will fit. Both pieces need to be final shaped and polished.
 The final Pic is of the Snake, it is engraved but I am thinking that I will make some changes to its size. After that anneal it and start to inlet, head first I'm thinking wrapping and inletting as I go.

Tim 

Here is the mouth piece trimmed up for pouring, I am using a piece of 1/4" OD to strengthen it.

This shows the dam wrapped around the haft for pouring.

This is it after the pour, dam removed.

Brass tube trimmed.

Cleaned up a little, you can see the design starting to come out.

The dam set up to pour the end cap.

Dam removed.

Snake.

Offline FDR

Re: Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 26 Jun
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
Tim an FYI for a future build. I just returned from Valley Forge. There is a pipe hawk on display in the museum there and the mouthpiece (tip) appears to be horn. Just another option. 

Thanks for sharing your work. Always interesting!

Fred

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 28 Jun
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
 Not sure how inlaying this snake is going to work out. One thing is I am having trouble getting the entire thing hot enough to anneal, as one section gets hot and is quenched the spot next to it seems to harden back up, gonna try a different heat source today. A few more Pix:

Another of work on the pewter cap.

The piece for the Brass cap being fit.

Brass rough shaped.

Snake wrapped around haft.

Snake clamped for bending/ rough fitting.

Progress on bending/fitting.

Brass cap temporarily attached to the Pewter, some steel pins will be added.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »
That’s gonna be a pretty epic hawk!

Greg

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
That snake is beyond cool.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:38 AM »
Oh man that is coming out nice.  My wallet is very, very scared.  The snake is inspired.  You never cease to amaze me Renaissance Man.  God bless,   Marc

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Working On A pipe Hawk-Updated 31 Jun
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
 Well the snake is making its way in. The last time I did a Silver wire vine with leaves around a pipe hawk haft I said I would never do it again, just like everybody else...I didn't listen, the wire was easier.

Tim

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:23:49 AM by Tim Crosby »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
I’m thinking about the challenges of inletting this snake. The inner diameter of the snake spiral is greater when sitting on top of the handle for tracing/stabbing in, than when inletted. I’d think you might best inlet the head and keep working backwards toward the tail bit by bit to accommodate this.  Was that your approach? 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 12:49:13 AM »
 That's it, file a bit of a draft on it and it gets Nut'z. Started at the head, working my way down, the flat sides are not to bad but the edges/curve fit are touchy to say the least. Notice that the head is a bit wide and covers Two planes. The scales were done before inletting so I need to get it as close as I can to avoid filing. Not to mention the fact that as I inlet it it stretches farther down the haft! I should have spent more time in the planning stages, funny many times I have been accused of over engineering, must be getting old.

Tim     

CARROLLCO

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 03:08:30 AM »
Wonderful work and design. I’m inspired to borrow snake design and woodburn it into one of my axe handles or walking staffs. Already used one on a walking staff that was from a found pottery plate from an Indian mound at Tuscaloosa AL Moundville State Park. It was a stylized rattler. Enjoy your work and creativeness. Love this site!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:04 AM »
Tim, are you taking it to the CLA in August? I'll have to stop by and take a look at it. Looks good so far.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
Man, this is giving me all sorts of ideas...

Greg

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »
We need more photos!  🙂

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
I would never attempt such a thing because I would make a total mess of it.  It's going to be very cool and I look forward to seeing it done.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
We need more photos!  🙂

I have been pretty busy trying to get the farm/barn ready for the 4th of Jul party, this thing has taken on a mind of its own!
 As for the Snake, it is a slow process, lots of bending, fitting, annealing, fitting annealing, repete. One slip and it fire wood or make another snake to fit, what with the heat it would probably be a new snake, quite a learning experience. Read self teaching/lean as you go. I've got to decide how I am going to hold it in place, thinking steel or brass pins but then filing them flush and messing up the scales is something else to work on. 

Tim

PS: B, if I get it finished I will bring it along, may anyway.TC