Author Topic: Mid-18th century British engraving styles  (Read 815 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Mid-18th century British engraving styles
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:18 PM »
Hi Folks,
I have a question about the styles of engraving on steel breech tangs, buttplates, trigger guards, pipes, and locks  found on British guns during 1730-1770.  The period I am addressing is before Nock, Manton, Purdey etc., and styles changed over the century.  For example, you rarely if ever see the sunbursts that became common later.  It seems that deep relief engraving was uncommon except for small areas used to highlight a feature. It seems to me that parallel lines were used more often to create shadows and the illusion of depth rather that back ground removal if a larger area of contrast was needed. Silver mounts may have deep sculpting but steel seems to be mostly decorated by shallow line engraving.  Later in the century, steel was often deeply engraved with extensive back ground removal and features sculpted or rounded slightly more like carving wood. I bring this up because I am about to engrave my fowler (as well as another project) and wanted to use the designs on my silver mounted Heylin fowler as models but they are deeply sculpted in silver.  I could do the same on the steel mounts but it actually may not be appropriate, historically. I wanted to pose this question or observation to Richard S., James R., Mike B., Jerry H. or any other folks who examined British guns from this period.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Mid-18th century British engraving styles
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
   You can fins tons of that in the earlier Neal and Back book. Great British Gunmakers 1540-1740
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Mid-18th century British engraving styles
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:40:30 PM »
Hi Jerry and Thanks,
I have all the GBG books and flip through the one you mentioned and the book on Griffin, Tow, and Bailes.  Those books and examining originals are what I base my question on.  I am curious about the impressions and opinions of others.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."