Author Topic: crud ring  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
crud ring
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
Hi All, what do you do when your dumb and don't clean out oil before you shoot? I had my gun stored with break free clp in it and forgot to clean it out before I shot it yesterday. Now there is a crud ring in the breech that I can't get out. Is it possible to get this out and will it hurt anything? I did remember and cleaned it after one shot. Thank You

Offline smokinbuck

Re: crud ring
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »
If your breech scraper won't get it then the best thing to do is seal the nipple, or touch hole, and fill the barrel to a point above the ring with soapy water or solvent. Let it soak over night and it should come out with a good flushing.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »
There is a product on the marker called OTiS O12-C Carbon Remover.

Works very well on carbon rings in modern guns (as-do other water based solvents) & should work for you as well.

Use with a nylon brush if Mark's suggestion does not work.

I have a feeling, if you submerge your barrel in water - no soap ie: salt and/or acids should be needed, the carbon ring will be softened or dissolved

by the water itself.

I would suggest that it is not good to leave it there as it will have BP fouling mixed with it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

HAWKEN

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »
I once had a crud ring develop from shooting 777 in my .50 caliber rifle.  Carburetor cleaner from Big Lots cleaned it right up.  Keep yer powder dry...…….robin  8)

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:16:45 AM »
Thank you for the replies, I will let it soak overnight and try tomorrow. Let you know if it works

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »
If soaked in a petrolium solvent - fine - not water, please.
Daryl

Offline heelerau

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
 I was getting a crud ring in the breech of my long rifle, long story short, after cleaning I use olive oil and not issues.  I was getting a crud ring and it was the WD40 I was using after cleaning, the rifle smith who made my rifle told me to use sweet oil, olive oil and I find this works ver well.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »
WD40?  I've been using WD40 after drying my rifles since 1976 & I've never had a crud ring.  I do patch the excess out after the flush. Since about 10 years ago, I store my rifles muzzle-down, as well.  Prior to that, I stored them butt down, but always patched them out again before loading and shooting.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
I doubt if using WD 40 can cause an isolated ring of crud to form.  Is this ring formed right at the top of the powder column...between the powder and the patched ball?  Or somewhere else in the bore?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
Yes it is right at the top of the powder column, I have been soaking it with hopps #9 and patching it out, seems to be getting better. This is new rifle with only about 40 shots out of it, first long rifle. I have some experience with t/c hawkens. Thanks for all the advice. The rifle is a tvm early Virginia

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »
WD40?  I've been using WD40 after drying my rifles since 1976 & I've never had a crud ring.  I do patch the excess out after the flush. Since about 10 years ago, I store my rifles muzzle-down, as well.  Prior to that, I stored them butt down, but always patched them out again before loading and shooting.

It is not the WD40. I have been using it the same way as Daryl since the mid 1970s and never a problem.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »
IMO, crud rings come from patch lube reacting to the extreme heat, and pressure, in a muzzleloaders barrel during ignition. Mutton tallow, bear grease, and venison tallow, don’t make crud rings because they can handle night heat. Most vegetable oils can be used to season cast iron cookware, because they bond to the iron when heated, and creat a hard coating. They will do the same thing in your barrel.

Hungry Horse

Offline kudu

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:47 PM »
hungry horse hit on the head.
dont use any oil that is vegatable based in my opinion it heats up and bonds to the bore same with silicone and some other oils that I cant remember right now.
and like darrel Wd 40 is my goto oil after cleaning with luke warm water I just love the stuff even the smell.
tracks mink oil is good for hunting in cold weather and leavin your gun loaded for longer time periods.
Ive tried all different moose milk "concocktions" and have setteled with just one.
  22 parts water 1 part ballistol just wet a nice thick, tight weave patch each time and shoot.

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »
I was using a 6:1 moosemilk lube on Wednesday when this happened, could that be it? The only other lube that's been in it is mink oil and store bought t/c patches. Will this clean out completely?

Offline poppy

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 01:23:37 AM »
try using water on your patches when target shooting save your grease patches for hunting  .  chris popp

Offline Frank

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 01:38:13 AM »
Spit patch for all my target shooting and Track of the Wolf mink oil for hunting. Last shot loads as easy as the first.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:04:10 PM »
I was using a 6:1 moosemilk lube on Wednesday when this happened, could that be it? The only other lube that's been in it is mink oil and store bought t/c patches. Will this clean out completely?

Jim - I think you hit the nail on the head with the lip-balm lube in/on the t/c patches.
Howd-ja milk that moose. I never got one to stand still long enough. Dang thinks kick sideways.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 09:59:43 PM »
I don't use any of the "bore butter" concoctions but once in a while a crud ring will develop.  I only lube with mink oil and use Hoppes often at the range.  These crud rings are easily removed.  I wet a patch and push it down to the breech and wait for 30 seconds to maybe a minute; it then comes out.  So I have to agree on the pre-lubed patches being the culprit.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Turtle

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
 I push a wet cleaning patch just to, not past the ring and repeat. if you force past first try sometimes the jag gets stuck--my experience.

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
Thanks again, for some reason it just won't come out, almost like the barrel is stained. if I remove the touch hole liner and look in,its  about 3/4 inch above the breech plug. I will have to keep trying. If I shoot the gun like this will it keep getting worse?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:50 AM »
You have to get that out before shooting the gun. It is quite possible the problem has caused deep pitting already.

Pulling the plug will make it easier, or access someone who is qualified to help in doing so.
Daryl

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
It’s going to be a nightmare to load and clean if you do not get rid of it. I’d unbreech, use wetted green Scotchbrite on a rod a hundred times in that area, and see if that makes it smooth.  If not I’d lap it with a lead slug cast into the bore, and lapping compound.

If it’s a commercial gun (TC, CVA, etc) unbreeching can be complicated and you should solicit advice on that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
A major ingredient in moose milk is water soluble oil ( which has no set guidelines ). The problem occurs when the oil used is not capable of handling the heat produced by a muzzleloader.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »
The gun is a tvm with only about 40 shots out of it. It is not rough or pitted at this time,wet patch goes right down easy and can't feel anything. The only way I noticed it was because I pulled the touch hole liner. I have never pulled a breech plug or have the tools at this time (could get into it though). The closest shop is an hour away from me,so I might have to go there. I appreciate all the advice

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:56 AM »
I thought you had an actual buildup that was causing difficulties. I’d ignore a slight stain!
Andover, Vermont