Author Topic: Cutting a stock profile  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Mauser06

Cutting a stock profile
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:46:28 AM »
Getting closer to my next build.

A barrel inlet into a plank and ramrod drilled.

After laying out the stock profile and everything, what saw(s) do you guys use to cut out the profile and slab off wood from the barrel sides etc?? 

I don't have a bandsaw...and haven't found a nice used one anywhere around. 

Not afraid to put time and muscle into doing it by hand. 

Right now, I definitely need to reduce the barrel sides and cut the profile out.  I have near an inch on both sides of the barrel...that'd take a very long time to rasp off even with a good rasp.   

Figured if I lay lines on the top and bottom and give myself some extra room, I aughta be able to keep a handsaw somewhat honest. Just not sure what saw I actually need for the job. I don't have any "good" handsaws.

Offline sz

Re: Cutting a stock profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:56:41 AM »
I did it that way for about 20 years.
I used a short stiff rip saw.  Proper sharpening is important so the cut doesn't drift

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
Before I had a bandsaw, I used a SHARP rip saw.  It may be perfect timing for you to get a good saw.  Layout is crucial.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:17:08 AM »
Definitely not opposed to buying a good saw. 

I just don't know what to look for specifically.  I had no idea there were so many options lol. I'm wrapping up my 2nd precarve. I feel comfortable making the plunge and feel like I can layout the gun and turn out a functional piece.

I know to not even bother trying with my current big box store hand saw..I had enough trouble cutting out patch box lids with it.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com

Currently some of the best handsaws being made.

Might also try Lie Nielsen.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
I did my first few with a rip saw. didn't take long before I bought a band saw. Too much work, takes the fun right out of building guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
 I'll bet if you ask around you will find someone in your area (PA?) that has a Band Saw and will help you out.

Tim C.

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com

Currently some of the best handsaws being made.

Might also try Lie Nielsen.

I'll second what Martin said about Bad Axe. My family all chipped in and bought my dad one of their carcass saws a couple birthdays ago. Cutting dovetails with that saw is like second nature, like the saw just knows what its supposed to do. Its amazing how sharp it is. The only problem is that you can get a servicable used bandsaw for what they want for one handsaw, not saying its not worth it though.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 03:13:53 PM »
Another option is a heavy duty jig saw.  Not as powerful as a mid-size band saw, but it will do the job nicely and not take up as much space in the shop.  I've cut hard maple for stock profiles from wood up to 2 1/2 thick with mine.  https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/jig-saws-js470e-34518-p/  It's worth checking out unless you can get a killer deal on a used quality band saw.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Joe S

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
Just finished cutting my stock with a Japanese pull saw. The one I have is called Shark Saw. Their part number is 10-2440. ACE Hardware carries them. 

I also have a bandsaw. I've had it for three years and I've never turned it on.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:22:49 PM by Jose Gordo »

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
Go to Craigslist or somewhere , and get you a bandsaw.  Why wear yourself out with a handsaw , when you have tons of work to do on the rest of the build. Use what you can  , to make some of the task easier. There will be plenty left to do by hand. JMHO  Nate

Offline flehto

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
My first 3 blank builds were cut w/ a circular saw w/ the blank  clamped somehow to the edge of a heavy table.. My wife came down to watch me cut the blank and after 2 mins, said...."I'm not watching this.... you're gping to injure yourself"  and went upstairs.

So thinking the matter over and realizing that I'll be building many more. I bought a  14" Jet  It performed well except for the plastic  blade guides....they allowed the blade to wander so bought a set of ball bearing blade guides and  was able to saw right on the line....a big time saver....especially cutting the contour for the Bplate. .......Fred

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »
Definitely not opposed to buying a good saw. 

I just don't know what to look for specifically.  I had no idea there were so many options lol. I'm wrapping up my 2nd precarve. I feel comfortable making the plunge and feel like I can layout the gun and turn out a functional piece.

I know to not even bother trying with my current big box store hand saw..I had enough trouble cutting out patch box lids with it.

You can learn a great deal from the fine furniture Master/Instructor Paul Sellers.  He has a host of video on YT and many of them on planes, saws, chisels and the making/sharpening/refurbishing/setting of all of them.  I need to get a few more finer-toothed old saws for my woodworking but learned to get by most inexpensively with Japanese pull-saws (which require learning a different technique for accurate cuts). 

Saws, just like chisels and planes, must be sharp for best work and sometimes you can find a service in your area for such. 

A pal had a sharpening man come 'round once every week or two and pickup/return tools that he'd sharpened. I had him fix up a few of my saws and auger bits before I learned how. Very reasonable.  Saw plate sharpening I pretty much learned from Paul Sellers.  And he'll teach you how to get by without a "proper" set, but to punch set the teeth, lube the plate, etc.

On my deer rifle I got in a hurry narrowing the forestock and wound up having to leave a few light saw marks on the gun to have any wood ATALL left on that side.  It unbalances the foreend a bit, but is a good lesson learned and NO one has ever pointed it out to me or appeared to notice without me pointing it out. So I don't anymore.  ALSO I'm moore careful with my cuts and have since acquired better rasps and planes.

But also I'm now in the market for a bandsaw, old and trusty...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:12:22 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a short rip saw or if you can find one a good bow saw. These will work and will be a lot of work. If you are going to build just one you can get it done. I did my first build from a blank with a short rip saw. I started looking for a good band saw before starting the second build. It’s hard to justify making a 10 minute job into an hour long job with a gallon of sweat. The band saw will pay for itself in short order if you build from a blank on a regular basis.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
Those Bad Axe saws look nice. If I didn't already have a half dozen early 20th/late 19th century saws, I'd be saving up for one.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
Getting closer to my next build.
A barrel inlet into a plank and ramrod drilled.
After laying out the stock profile and everything, what saw(s) do you guys use to cut out the profile and slab off wood from the barrel sides etc?? 
I don't have a bandsaw...and haven't found a nice used one anywhere around. 
 HARBOR FREIGHT
Not afraid to put time and muscle into doing it by hand. 
Right now, I definitely need to reduce the barrel sides and cut the profile out.  I have near an inch on both sides of the barrel...that'd take a very long time to rasp off even with a good rasp.   
Figured if I lay lines on the top and bottom and give myself some extra room, I aughta be able to keep a handsaw somewhat honest. Just not sure what saw I actually need for the job. I don't have any "good" handsaws.
    HARBOR FREIGHT
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:10:56 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
I paid $10 for the band saw I'm currently using. I imagine I gets more use than many.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »
Another option is a heavy duty jig saw.  Not as powerful as a mid-size band saw, but it will do the job nicely and not take up as much space in the shop.  I've cut hard maple for stock profiles from wood up to 2 1/2 thick with mine.  https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/jig-saws-js470e-34518-p/  It's worth checking out unless you can get a killer deal on a used quality band saw.

Mole Eyes
This is what I have and use it to rough profile stocks out of large heavy planks that are between 2-1/2" to 3" thick. These rough planks are too heavy for me to place on the bandsaw table  >:(  and cut the stocks out that is why I use the saber saw. Once I get the profile cut out I use my 16" Grizzly band saw to finalize the stock profile. I called Bosh and asked it this hand held saber saw will cut through this thick, hard maple and they told me it would with the right blade ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
There are 2 bandsaws in my shop. One old Atlas? with a Falk reducer with 4 speeds I use
for metal and a 3 speed horizontal for metal cutting.I have never tried the old vertical saw
at any other speed other than where it's been for nearly 50 years.I did use a wood cutting blade on it
once to cut out a butt stock for a breech loader and it worked OK. Also cut a pistol stock with it.

Bob Roller

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
Just finished cutting my stock with a Japanese pull saw. The one I have is called Shark Saw. Their part number is 10-2440. ACE Hardware carries them. 

I also have a bandsaw. I've had it for three years and I've never turned it on.

I have one of those and works great. But I would not want to use it for saw out a blank. That would be a big job! My dad has a nice bandsaw that I use.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
You can also use a Sawzall. With the correct blade and speed control trigger, you can easily profile a blank out. That's what I used before I got my bandsaw....my bandsaw is a 14" Grizzly, think I paid about 300 bucks for it. That same saw is going for about 600 bucks now. Check Craigslist for some deals.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I love my bandsaw and use it all the time. It would be sorely missed if I didn't have it any more. But good handsaws are essential. All of mine are old Distons, Atkins or Spear and Jacksons. A 5 or 6 point ripsaw is about as easy as it gets to sharpen and get working well.
There are many ways to cut a line on a stock (or anything else for that matter) without a bandsaw or a ripsaw. A safe way is to kerf down to a line with a crosscut saw about 1/2" or 3/4" apart and use a chisel to knock out the chunks. This way can be very effective for removing corners or cutting a curve.
Using a properly sharpened handsaw is a pleasure. Using a dull one or one without proper set is an awful experience. Having your cut wander off sideways or having the blade buckling or pinching is frustrating and dangerous.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
Thanx all!   

Lots of good info! 

It'll definitely be more than 1...as I have 2 planks with barrels inlet and another pistol. I have the next build completely ready and the one in the vise is getting close to being done. 

I will see what I can find.  I'd like a bandsaw as it would be useful to have and would be a start to the small woodshop I'd like to start.  Just haven't found anything good at a good price yet....I can snag old Craftsman bandsaws all day for $100 or less...may start with one...I'm sure it's not precise, but would likely be well enough to get me closer to a rifle shape.  I'd like to find something a little better/bigger though as those are on the smaller side.

n stephenson

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
Mauser, I think your decision to look for a larger saw is a good one. I started out with a Delta bench top model. It was a good little saw , and I cut out quite a few stocks with it. There are a couple reasons that I prefer a floor model 14 inch or bigger. The tables on the smaller ones seem more prone to flex . Most of the newer small models are pretty light duty. I would "bet the farm" that none of the manufacturers would recommend sawing a 2 1\2 inch thick slab of rock hard Maple on any of these small saws. Can it be done? yes , but it does put a real "working" on these smaller models. If you can find a 14 inch model with a cast iron frame and table , you will probably like using it much better than the small ones. Certain models of the old Craftsman are not bad saws. Jack Garner has one that he put a 1 horse Baldor motor on , and it has cut thousands of stocks and is still running along. One in good condition at a good price , might not be bad?  JMHO  Nate
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:48:41 PM by n stephenson »

Offline hudson

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
Most often used power tools used in my shop band saw and 1 X 42 belt sander.