Author Topic: Tower Marked Flintlocks  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
Tower Marked Flintlocks
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »
Has anyone here seen a flintlock with a Tower marked lock, with a bridled frizzen, GR cypher, broad arrow, and flat face? I usually see the round face lock on British Military flinters. Granted, the piece I saw was built more like a light fusil. I would appreciate an education on the topic, if anyone is familiar.

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
Re: Tower Marked Flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
Here are some photos for reference.
https://imgur.com/a/oVOlqk6

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
Hi,
I suspect that gun is a civilian gun made from salvaged British military parts.  The flat-faced lock was used on British rifles, carbines, officer's fusils during the late 18th century, and muskets later in the 19th century.  I believe the flintcock and frizzen spring are not original to the lock.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
The GR Cypher or the the word "Tower" have absolutely no meaning. Those markings are seen on about 80% of the locks made for the commercial trade. The only thing that counts on British martial arms is the Ordnance Storekeepers Mark and Government proofs on the barrel.

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »
Smart Dog, you are correct; the cock and frizzen are replacements, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the frizzen spring is a replacement as well.  JV Puleo, there were ostensibly british proofs on the barrel, but they were difficult to make out, and I forgot to upload them. The bit about cypher and tower marking is interesting; I have often wondered how many of those were legitimate. Thank you both; I happened to see this thing while trawling antique gun listings, and the lock got my curiosity going.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:31 AM »
There is a major difference between British proofs and British Government proofs... most British guns were proved but only guns that were the property of the crown received the official government proof. The GR Cypher on a barrel, as a proof mark, identifies the gun as being the property of the King where the cypher on a lock means nothing at all.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 12:50:33 AM »
Also...I believe the later patterns of the Bess (like the pattern 1809) had a flat lock plate like yours.  I'd put money on that plate being off that model.

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 01:12:06 AM »
Ah, good. Thank you. I'm glad I didn't buy it; really, I want something earlier.