Author Topic: Pear shaped tallow hole  (Read 1587 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Pear shaped tallow hole
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »
Building another Southern gun, and am curious about how to drill those pear shaped holes I've seen on some. 
I think they're kinda cool looking.

Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Pear shaped tallow hole
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »
I’d use a foster bit to drill hole then shape with a gouge if that’s what you have in mind
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:57:11 PM »
It this what you had in mind? I did this one like Paul said, drilled a round hole then made a ramp to the bottom with a gouge.

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:06:08 PM »

This picture shows better how the back slopes down to the bottom of the round hole

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »
Joe,
That is exactly what I was thinking about.  I Guess I was making it too complicated. 
I was thinking about a spoon bit, so the hole is round at the bottom as well.
It's hard to tell from the photos..... what size was the original drill bit?
Thank you Sir.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:16:07 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
I'd just trace a spoon for the shape, and googe away.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »
Maybe just sharpen and case harden a spoon!  Ok enough silliness.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
On that rifle i used a 3/4" bit.
I drill the hole then roughly draw the area i want gouged out, after the gouge i clean the ramp up with a rat tail file. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:24:29 AM by Joe Schell »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 01:32:04 AM »
I drill my hole on an angle. I start with a smaller bit and keep on increasing the size until its what I want, usually 3/4" or 7/8" then shape it like Joe does. The reason I do mind this way is I build mostly Gillespie's and it appears that is the way they did theirs.

BTW I would be eager to know of any originals other than one of the Gillespie's that did their grease holes this way.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:35:45 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online davebozell

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:23 AM »
I used a spoon bit for the one I installed in my Gillespie.  It was about 7/8" diameter.  I started drilling straight into the stock and then rotated the bit toward the lock.  It was pretty scary to drill, but I think it came out very well.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 03:27:20 AM »
 ;) ;).... This'uns about 40years old,... I added the taller hole after I got her,... looked plumb nekkid without one,...  cut hole in like the other boys said,... stock was already finished so I just scorched the hole lightly, sealed with linseed oil and added taller,...best wishes,... regards,  Cades Cove Fiddler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »
 ;) ;)... Dennis,... on page 52 of Dave Byrd's " Greasy Cove" book on Unicoi Co., guns, is a good picture of an Isreal McInturff rifle with an identical tallow hole to the Matthew Gillespie gun in the National Park collection which is on display in Townsend,....... I sometimes wonder if the "taller-hole" was added later by the owner,...???

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
Those southern common-man rifles just look right with the tallow hole to my eye.  I especially like the spoon shaped ones.  They are as eye-catchingly appropriate as a patchbox, and I'll wager a good bit easier to do too.  Some fine looking beauties shown in this thread.  God Bless, Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
CCF,
Yes now I remember it, had forgotten about it. I can't find my copy of David Byrd's Greasy Cove book (got to build a bigger book case)! I should have the KRA CD and in day or two and I will look at it again.
Dennis

;) ;)... Dennis,... on page 52 of Dave Byrd's " Greasy Cove" book on Unicoi Co., guns, is a good picture of an Isreal McInturff rifle with an identical tallow hole to the Matthew Gillespie gun in the National Park collection which is on display in Townsend,....... I sometimes wonder if the "taller-hole" was added later by the owner,...???
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson